Re: Diss. on Ebionites

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 1999
      Sakari Hakkinen:

      > Having analyzed the texts I conclude that it is possible to
      > reconstruct a certain Ebionite Christology. It is also
      > possible to present some Ebionite literature. With the help
      > of the christology and literature it is possible to connect
      > Ebionites to some other known Christian movements from the
      > first three centuries. From this evidence it is, however,
      > impossible to argue that Ebionites were direct heirs of the
      > Jerusalem Christianity. The texts on Ebionies by the Church
      > Fathers may not be used to describe the dogmas and practices
      > of Earliest Christianity. That needs to be done some other way.

      I think your dissertation sounds flawless. And I'm pleased to see
      that you aren't drawing conclusions beyond the evidence.

      But may I suggest that you might look into the texts that Ian
      and I have been discussing. Theophilus, for instance.... if there
      is any inference possible about Jesus from that "Christian"
      text, it must be that (if interpolation possibility is ignored) he
      was an inspired prophet like the other inspired prophets. Thus
      Theophilus might be a good candidate to be himself an "Ebionite."
      His is a "Christianity without soteriology" as I think you put it,
      and (if) his Christology necessarily is that a divine spirit came
      upon Jesus (which process he gives in some detail).