Balkan Exodus Model

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 1999
      If you're wondering how the Jesus of Faith could ever have come
      from the Jesus of History read the following. It ends my chapter
      on "Exodus" from my book, _Behind The Bible_. The impulse arose
      from this article:

      Zohar, Mattanyah. `The Real Basis for the Exodus.' _Biblical
      Archaeology Review._ 1988, _XIV(2)_, pp. 13 & 58.

      Herewith my work:

      Perhaps the Southern route is still uncertain?. The only place
      where they could wait on Moses up the mountain was at the Temple of
      Het Heru (Hat Hor), the Golden Cow. The mines at Serabit el Khadim on
      the west coast of the Sinai Peninsula were nearby. Three possible
      mountain sites for the handing down of the laws are nearly in sight.
      Israelites in a dry and dusty land would find the worship of the
      Golden Cow irresistible. Every ten days the Egyptians had a lavish
      beer party at the Temple. Lapsing would explain the Golden Calf
      episode. The presence of paleo-Aramaic texts in the vicinity adds to
      the certainty.
      Another temple to Het Heru (Hat Hor) existed on the far side of
      Sinai in Temna at the head of the Gulf of Aqaba. Its location does
      not fit the chronologies or peregrinations of the Exodus. Considera-
      tion of Temna as a site for the Golden Calf creates more problems than
      it solves. However, it might put a date on the end of the wanderings.
      Temna flourished under the Ramessid kings. Under how many of the
      Ramessid kings, we don't know. If we knew, it might give a firm date.
      Yet the Golden Calf episode supposedly happened at the beginning
      not the end of the journey. If the Israelites visited Temna's temple
      to the Golden Cow, it was at the end not the start of the journey!
      The Hebrew record serves no notice that they did. It makes a minor
      Perhaps Prince Ra Meses on his first leave took with him texts and
      stelae of the Amarna Period. His father may have secured them in his
      possible episode reburying Queen Tiye. Researchers have found her
      monuments at the Temple of Het Heru (Hat Hor) in Sinai. Perhaps some
      Amarna artifacts were present too. Through the fog of history a hint
      of Akhu En Aten's Teachings may have made the tribal Shasu god the
      sole deity.
      We can find why hard history became Exodus in two obscure events in
      Northeastern America. They are the Aroostook War and the Expulsion of
      the Acadians.
      Aroostook County in Northern Maine has been celebrating the 150th
      anniversary of its founding. This event connects with the War.
      Canadian understanding of the action thought it a tavern brawl. They
      considered the Sheriff of York County, New Brunswick, settled it.
      Canadian schools taught this.
      Actually, Congress appropriated for the fight 10 Million of 1840
      dollars. Gold was $.90 per ounce, yet they raised tens of thousands
      of men for a militia. British North America mobilized to expel once
      more the hated Yankees. Even the Duke of Wellington became involved.
      Canadians had developed one version of the conflict. Americans had
      another. Each version served local and national aims. Perhaps such
      trends to myth follow precise and certain laws.
      Consider how unhistoric is Longfellow's Evangeline. Yet Acadians
      in New Brunswick take the poem as historical fact. A direct descen-
      dant of the John Winslow who commanded the British fleet expelling the
      Acadians from Nova Scotia lives in New Brunswick. His view saw the
      matter as one of military need. Winslow was from Massachusetts. That
      18th Century bastion of British power felt upset by suspect loyalty of
      its French speaking subjects in Nova Scotia. The Acadians considered
      where they lived still belonged to France or soon would.
      Two views exist of the Acadian Exodus. Both command real political
      Another equally divisive pair of myths exists in the Province of
      Qu�bec about The Conquest. The French call `The Conquest' what the
      English call the `Winning' of Qu�bec. They might also call it the
      Trading of Qu�bec for Haiti. Downtrodden people turn up or attract
      effective bards to express their sorrow. Soon myth becomes reality.
      We have a similar example in the histories following the Battle of
      Kosovo between Moslems and Christians in a Yugoslavia of the Middle
      Ages. We can actually follow the development of that event into myth.
      We possess the hard details of historical record and the parallel
      developing fictions.
      Some argue a similar process occurred with Homer's Greek epic
      Most compelling is the example of the life of Ra Meses, son of Kha
      Em Uset and grandson of Ra Meses II. We know he existed. We know
      that a near thousand years later the story of his life became a tale
      of wonder. In this example, we do not have the intervening develop-
      ments. We only have the divergent resulting myths and a sketch of the
      original events. Our discussion leads us to a strange conclusion.
      Both the Pharaoh of the Exodus and the Leader of the Exodus were of
      Canaanite stock. So was `Great North Wind On the Ladder' centuries
      Whatever the process was, Exodus resulted.
      XVIIIth Dynasty Kings would express surprise their successors in
      the XIXth Dynasty descended from a Semite called Seti. They might
      sniff somewhat at the upstarts. This attitude could explain the
      Osireon at Abydos by Seti I. The King was trying to be more Egyptian
      than Egyptians.
      Finally, we have the expulsion by Set Nekht. We can trace the
      roots of the Royal Family back to the man with the Canaanite name of
      Seti. This man was a contemporary of Tut Ankh Amen. At nearly the
      same time, Akhu En Aten had a Canaanite Vizier named Aperia. Later,
      the oldest daughter of Ra Meses II had a Canaanite name, Bint Anath.
      She was a sister to Ra Meses and Kha Em Uset, two Crown Princes of Ra
      Meses II. Later, she was a Consort of Mer En Pteh. The Canaanite
      connection inside the Royal Family was clear. It had to be intimate.
      The action of Set Nekht was extraordinary. "One of their own"
      threw them out. The evidence is clear the Exodus made an enduring
      hurt on the people of Israel. The literary evidence supports this
      idea. Yet the historical evidence doesn't confirm their version of
      the events. Yet again the process of converting a tragedy into a
      triumph took place. How it happened we may never know. The detail
      may be beyond recovery. Yet, we must say again, the process took
      place. Today, believers still drink to "Next year in Jerusalem".

      (C)Tom Simms
      - whose _Behind The Bible_ ISBN 0-9695425-0-X is on Amazon.com -