Re: Why was Jesus killed (Tom)

  • Lewis Reich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 1999
      On 28 Mar 99, at 12:27, Christ Thomas wrote:

      > Obviously, from the historic records Caiaphas led the religious movement
      > to murder Jesus. He saw Jesus as a threat to his religious order. Does
      > anyone know what religion he represented?

      How is the obvious? Caiaphas was a Roman political appointee. How
      can one conclude that his motivations were theological rather than
      political?

      > Pilate served at the pleasure of Rome and was the Roman government's
      > rubber stamp. If Rome wanted Jesus dead Pilate would find a solution and
      > still keep himself and Romans from being the ones faulted. Not unlike
      > today’s governments holding themselves blameless for their actions.
      >
      > I maintain, and as the records indicate, Jesus was actually tried and
      > murdered for opposing and possibly leading a revolt against the taxation
      > by Rome. Obviously, it benefited Rome’s churches also to remove the
      > dissident that preached against them.

      It certainly seems to me possible that (as Brandon argues) Jesus in
      fact was opposed to Roman taxation. But it is a difficult case to
      make.

      Lewis Reich
      LBR@...