A New Book on Galilee

  • Sakari Häkkinen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26 10:20 AM
      I just got an interesting book from our library: Se�n
      Freyne, Galilee from Alexander the Great to Hadrian 323 BCE
      to 135 CE. I recall the discussion about Nazareth a little
      time ago. I suppose Stephen Goranson and Rene J. Salm have
      some interest to this book. Have you already read it?

      Best wishes

      Sakari
      __________________
      Sakari Hakkinen
      University of Helsinki
      Department of Biblical Studies
      sakari.hakkinen@...
    • rene joseph salm
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27 10:54 PM
        On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Sakari Häkkinen wrote:

        > I just got an interesting book from our library: Seán
        > Freyne, Galilee from Alexander the Great to Hadrian 323 BCE
        > to 135 CE. I recall the discussion about Nazareth a little
        > time ago. I suppose Stephen Goranson and Rene J. Salm have
        > some interest to this book. Have you already read it?

        Thanks for the reference. Have only read parts of this work,
        his 1988 "Galilee, Jesus, and the Gospels," and his chapter (6) in
        Bartlett's "Archaeology and Biblical Interpretation"...

        In a related vein, I recommend R. Horsley's "Archaeology, History and
        Society in Galilee: The social context of Jesus and the rabbis" (Trinity
        Press 1996).

        ---------------------

        A new arrival in my library: Maurice Casey, Aramaic Sources of Mark's
        Gospel (Cambridge U.P., 1998). The frontispiece reads:

        "This is the first book to use all the Aramaic DSS to reconstruct original
        Aramaic sources from parts of Mark's Gospel. The scrolls have enabled the
        author to revolutionize the methodology of such work, and to reconstruct
        whole passages which he interprets in their original cultural context. The
        passages from which sources are reconstructed are Mk.9:11-13; 2:23-3:6;
        10:35-45; and 14:12-26. A detailed discussion of each passage is offered,
        demonstrating that these sources are completely accurate accounts from the
        ministry of Jesus, from early sabbath disputes to his final Passover. An
        account of the translation process is given, showing how problems in
        Mark's text arose from the difficulty of translating some Aramaic
        expressions into Greek, including the notoriously difficult 'son of man.'
        A very early date for these sources is proposed, implying a date c. 40 CE
        for Mark's gospel."

        "Maurice Casey is Reader in Early Jewish and Christian Studies in the
        Department of Theology at the Univ. of Nottingham, where he has been since
        1979. He has written three previous books:

        -- Son of Man: The interpretation and influence of Daniel 7 (1980)
        -- Frim Jewish Prophet to Gentile God: The origins and development of N.T.
        Christology (1991)
        -- Is John's Gospel True? (1996)"

        Rene