Re: Parameters for Discovering the Historical Jesus

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 1999
      Philip Lewis wrote:
      And at once the Ptolemaic cosmology of the time dictates that Earth is the
      center of the cosmic encircling of Sun and
      Moon. ---------------------------------------------------

      The Ptolemies lost Palestine to the Seleucids about 200 b.c.e. who then lost
      it to the Romans 63 b.c.e. Of course your point about 1st century Palestine
      and Ptolemaic cosmology is valid because that influence had made it's mark.
      The Jews seemed to have hated the Romans and the Seleucids a bit more than
      the Ptolemaic empire.

      Philip Lewis wrote:
      ." But that was nothing compared to the anxiety attendant upon the rise of
      a New Age, as Julius predicted it 18 years before Pisces replaced Aries as
      the age under which men dwelt.
      I have spoken before of the significance in Mark's Feeding of the 5,000 when
      5 loaves and 2 fish (the sign of Pisces) were broken for the multitude. No
      one alive at the turning of
      the New Age had any doubt about what those symbols meant: the Torah for the
      New Age.---------------------------------------

      This "new age" probably had everything to do with the KOG concept of early
      christianity. Just as our new age of aquarius has brought alot of strange
      beliefs, not the least of which is the whole modern new age movement, the
      change of age then brought belief in a new age where god would rule (KOG),
      and the present evil world would be reversed.
      It's my view that understanding how early christians thought about the KOG
      is the key to understanding christian origins.

      Philip Lewis wrote:
      A Jesus who could be represented as teaching a multitude the Law for the New
      Age night be described in the language of that New Age's

      Thanks for this Philip, you have added a piece to the puzzle I'm working on.

      Paul Miller