Re: Earl's strange silences: Stephen?

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 1999
      At 2:46 PM -0500 2/27/99, Stevan Davies wrote, initially quoting Acts:
      >"Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute?
      >They even killed those who predicted the
      >coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed
      >and murdered him"
      >... [But] if there was an historical
      >crucifixion it was conducted under the auspices of the Romans.
      >So, nless one wishes to argue that the testimony is incorrect but
      >nevertheless reliable, or some such curious conclusion, the Stephen
      >business doesn't help an historical Jesus argument much at all.

      Aristotle says there is a degree of _akribeia_ appropriate to every
      inquiry; I'd suggest that Steve's exegesis of Acts and Thessalonians errs
      in attaching too much precision to the statements about Jesus' Jewish
      countrymen having accomplished his death.

      Here's a musty political parallel: in 1986 or thereabouts, Robert Bork was
      denied appointment to the Supreme Court when feminist and civil liberties
      groups protested his nomination and the Senate voted against appointment.
      So: who denied Bork a seat on the bench, feminists or senators? Technically
      of course the Senate cast the votes that consigned Bork to the lecture
      circuit and op-ed page, but it's certainly not wrong to say that the
      opposition of feminists and others cost him the appointment, and a Bork
      partisan might well say in a rhetorical context (thus parallel to Stephen's
      speech and Paul's letter), "the National Organization for Women defeated
      Robert Bork." So with Stephen and Paul.

      Jeff

      Jeffrey Peterson, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor of New Testament