Re: "Going meatless for Lewis Reich"

  • Lewis Reich
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 1999
      On 22 Feb 99, at 18:06, Stevan Davies wrote:

      > > >The billboard carries the warm image of an open-armed Jesus
      > > >with the caption: "Jesus was a vegetarian. Show respect for
      > > >God's creatures - follow him."
      >
      > Thought I might catch Lewis' attention and ask him, or anyone
      > else who might know, whether it indeed was the practice to eat
      > passover lamb on passover. I'm of the opinion that it was, but
      > I'm not positive. Following Lk etc. there's clear statements that
      > Jesus at the passover dinner.

      Sorry for the belated response, Steve; I was out of town for most of the past
      week and have only just started catching up with my e-mail. The description of
      the Passover meal in Exodus 12: 8-11 explicitly talks about the manner in
      which the sacrificial lamb should be cooked and eaten - viz., "roasted" and "in
      haste". The Talmud records a tradition of Hillel (which is still recited at
      traditional Jewish Passover seders), who apparently would create a sandwich of
      matzah, bitter herbs, and the meat from the sacrifice in order to fulfill the
      phrase in verse 8 "with unleavened bread and bitter herbs shall you eat it."
      The contemporary Samaritan community's custom, as described in the
      Encyclopedia Judaica, is to for each family for sacrifice, roast, and consume a
      lamb on the slopes of Mt. Gerizim.

      Hope this is helpful,

      Lewis Reich
      LBR@...