Re: Pastoral epistles

  • R. Jeffrey Grace
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 1999
      On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 18:20:05 +0100, Aleksandar Milanovic
      <amilanov@...> wrote:

      >Dear all,
      >
      >My English unfortunately is not very well, but I hope that you will
      >understand me.
      >
      >Here in Belgrade I can't find so much *historical* studies about
      >development and critical interpretation of NT canon. In comunist
      >Yuogoslavia nobody had written about this except... did you read Master
      >and Margarita?. Internet is one great thing, but I can't find there

      --snip--

      Aleksandar,

      You'll get better advice regarding the location of NT sources on the
      net from the other members here than you will from I, but I just had
      to say that I have read Bulgakov's Master and Margarita and that it
      ranks in the top five of my favorites books!

      I recommend it highly!

      ---
      R. Jeffrey Grace
      rjgrace@...
      http://www.pobox.com/~rjgrace
    • Aleksandar Milanovic
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 1999
        Dear all,

        I'll be very thankful if anybody can to explain me why Paul's "pastoral
        epistles" (1Tim, 2Tim, Tit) are marked as pseudo-Pauline?

        best wishes,
        Alexander
        * ~ Aleksandar Milanovic ~ FOR after that in the wisdom of *
        * ~ student of History ~ God the world by wisdom knew not God, *
        * ~ Faculty of Philosophy ~ it pleased God by foolishness of *
        * ~ Belgrade, Serbia ~ preaching to save them that belive... *
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 1999
          At 10:21 PM 1/29/99 +0100, you wrote:
          >Dear all,
          >
          >I'll be very thankful if anybody can to explain me why Paul's "pastoral
          >epistles" (1Tim, 2Tim, Tit) are marked as pseudo-Pauline?
          >
          >best wishes,
          >Alexander

          1- The language of the books is not like Paul at all.
          2- The theology is significantly different.
          3- The historical setting is also significantly different than the genuine
          Pauline epistles.

          A good place to look for in depth discussion of the issues is W. G. Kummel's
          Introduction to the NT, or Raymond Brown's Introduction to the NT.

          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest