Pastoral epistles

  • Aleksandar Milanovic
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 1999
      Dear all,

      My English unfortunately is not very well, but I hope that you will
      understand me.

      Here in Belgrade I can't find so much *historical* studies about
      development and critical interpretation of NT canon. In comunist
      Yuogoslavia nobody had written about this except... did you read Master
      and Margarita?. Internet is one great thing, but I can't find there
      *exact details* for some of my questions. That is the case with
      authorship of pastoral epistles (I Tim, II Tim, Tit). Several times I
      read that they are pseudo-Pauline, but nobody gave *detailed*
      explanation. I am learning Greek, and I can (with dictionary) control
      original texts, but I can't evident distincion in style of Paul's
      epistles without strict examples. If it is said that in pastoral
      epistles we have some gnostic mentons, can we *prove* that in this time
      (circa 60-67) we haven't some proto-gnostic movements in province Asia
      or Crete? Can we prove that church "monarchistic" hierarchy (deacons,
      preserbiters, bishops) didn't exist in Paul's time. At the end when and
      who wrote pastoral epistles? Paul's "beloved Luke" or somebody other?
      There are a lot of very exact biografical elements (for example II Tim
      1:15sq. and 4:9sq.). Are pastoral epistles some *compilation* of orginal
      Paul's words and later additions of his followers? You can send me on my
      e-mail any useful URL address or document file, I will be very grateful.

      Alexander
      * ~ Aleksandar Milanovic ~ FOR after that in the wisdom of *
      * ~ student of History ~ God the world by wisdom knew not God, *
      * ~ Faculty of Philosophy ~ it pleased God by foolishness of *
      * ~ Belgrade, Serbia ~ preaching to save them that belive... *
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 1999
        Aleksandar Milanovic wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > My English unfortunately is not very well, but I hope that you will
        > understand me.
        >
        > Here in Belgrade I can't find so much *historical* studies about
        > development and critical interpretation of NT canon. In comunist
        > Yuogoslavia nobody had written about this except... did you read Master
        > and Margarita?. Internet is one great thing, but I can't find there
        > *exact details* for some of my questions. That is the case with
        > authorship of pastoral epistles (I Tim, II Tim, Tit). Several times I
        > read that they are pseudo-Pauline, but nobody gave *detailed*
        > explanation. I am learning Greek, and I can (with dictionary) control
        > original texts, but I can't evident distincion in style of Paul's
        > epistles without strict examples. If it is said that in pastoral
        > epistles we have some gnostic mentons, can we *prove* that in this time
        > (circa 60-67) we haven't some proto-gnostic movements in province Asia
        > or Crete? Can we prove that church "monarchistic" hierarchy (deacons,
        > preserbiters, bishops) didn't exist in Paul's time. At the end when and
        > who wrote pastoral epistles? Paul's "beloved Luke" or somebody other?
        > There are a lot of very exact biografical elements (for example II Tim
        > 1:15sq. and 4:9sq.). Are pastoral epistles some *compilation* of orginal
        > Paul's words and later additions of his followers? You can send me on my
        > e-mail any useful URL address or document file, I will be very grateful.

        Alexander

        For starters, try the "introduction" sections of each of the pastorals
        found at the URL below.

        http://www.bible.org/docs/nt/ntbooks.htm

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson
        7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 1999
          On Sun, 03 Jan 1999 18:20:05 +0100, Aleksandar Milanovic
          <amilanov@...> wrote:

          >Dear all,
          >
          >My English unfortunately is not very well, but I hope that you will
          >understand me.
          >
          >Here in Belgrade I can't find so much *historical* studies about
          >development and critical interpretation of NT canon. In comunist
          >Yuogoslavia nobody had written about this except... did you read Master
          >and Margarita?. Internet is one great thing, but I can't find there

          --snip--

          Aleksandar,

          You'll get better advice regarding the location of NT sources on the
          net from the other members here than you will from I, but I just had
          to say that I have read Bulgakov's Master and Margarita and that it
          ranks in the top five of my favorites books!

          I recommend it highly!

          ---
          R. Jeffrey Grace
          rjgrace@...
          http://www.pobox.com/~rjgrace
        • Aleksandar Milanovic
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 1999
            Dear all,

            I'll be very thankful if anybody can to explain me why Paul's "pastoral
            epistles" (1Tim, 2Tim, Tit) are marked as pseudo-Pauline?

            best wishes,
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 1999
              At 10:21 PM 1/29/99 +0100, you wrote:
              >Dear all,
              >
              >I'll be very thankful if anybody can to explain me why Paul's "pastoral
              >epistles" (1Tim, 2Tim, Tit) are marked as pseudo-Pauline?
              >
              >best wishes,
              >Alexander

              1- The language of the books is not like Paul at all.
              2- The theology is significantly different.
              3- The historical setting is also significantly different than the genuine
              Pauline epistles.

              A good place to look for in depth discussion of the issues is W. G. Kummel's
              Introduction to the NT, or Raymond Brown's Introduction to the NT.

              http://web.infoave.net/~jwest