Scapegoats

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 1999
      Ian wrote Jan.2:

      >Is there any way to locate Deuteronomy in historical time? Perhaps the
      >prophecy in Dt28:68 about Jews being brought back to Egypt by the Lord to
      >sell themselves as slaves, referring to the Jews who escaped from Jerusalem
      >to Egypt to avoid the wrath of the Babylonians... ?

      I believe he had earlier posted something about the absence of the Scapegoat
      in Deuteronomy. In re that observation, crosstalkers might be interested in
      an article in the current issue of _Interpretation_ by William C. Placher,
      Prof. Phil. & Religion at Wabash College, entitled "Christ Takes Our Place:
      Rethinking Atonemoent."

      Placher calls attention to studies by R. Girard and J.D> Levenson and offers
      his own "modrnization" of the idea of Atoneoment. Girard in particular has
      a lot of meat to chew on in re the scapegoat as "Israel" in Biblical usage,
      and in social behavior.

      -phil@...
      "History is the phenomenon living people invent
      and create to establish who they are
      based on what they think they were in the past."
      -- Linda Schele