Mistranslated Idioms (Jack's Note)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 1999
      On Fri, 01 Jan 1999 13:25:49 -0600, jkilmon@... writes:

      [... Snip ...]

      >On a more serious note, I wonder just how many major doctrinal
      >practices and rituals throughout the 20,000 odd forms of
      >Christianity are a result of the non-transmission of
      >idiom, metaphor, allegory and aggadic midrash taken
      >literally by Gentile Christians unfamiliar with Jewish
      >literary styles.
      >
      >Jack

      Seriously too, Jack, just about double what the Rabbis added to
      the very scant fragments in understandable language of DSS
      Levitical texts. Both sides knew how to make "hidden agenda"
      fit. I used to complain about Philo making the Sin of Sodom out
      of whole cloth. Now I realize Both Sides worked like demons to
      split one belief into two irreconcilable parts.

      Tom S