Re: Jesus poisoned

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 1, 1999
      joe baxter wrote:

      > Jack said:
      >
      > >Except that Y'shua didn't say that handling snakes and drinking poison
      > >nonsense. Probably a 3rd century North African named Ariston.
      >
      > Don't know much about Ariston (of Chios?) but Mark 16:17 says: "These are
      > the signs that will be associated with believers: . . . they will pick up
      > snakes in their hands, and be unharmed should they drink deadly poison."

      I am sure that the various endings of Mark in the textual witnesses
      has been discussed before. I think there is a consensus that not only
      did Jesus NOT say these words, but neither did Mark record it. Mk
      16:9-20
      has 17 non-Markan words in that short space written in an obvious
      non-Markan
      style and rhetorical tone. The juncture between 16:8 and 16:9 is very
      clumsy. This ending does NOT appear in the oldest mss. I mention the
      possibility that this ending was supplied by Ariston because of an
      Armenian
      mss that was copied from a more ancient version in 989 CE which adds
      the colphon "ariston eritsou." Arist(i)on was a contemporary of Papias
      in the Yohannine school.

      Outside of internal and external critical reasons why this ending
      was supplied to an abruptly ended Mark (I believe simply because Mark
      died before completing it) there is the common sense that this
      gospeler would not suggest tempting God by drinking poison and
      handling snakes. "Handling a serpent" was an Aramaic idiom for
      "a bucket of worms" or a difficult and dangerous enterprise. I
      do not doubt that Jesus may have used that idiom on occasion
      but he didn't mean for a bunch of squirrely nuts to pass
      around rattlesnakes in church.

      I sure am glad the idiom "hit the road" was not uttered by Jesus
      in his Semitic tongue. That too would have been translated
      to Greek, then English, and today we would have a bunch of
      nuts out in the middle of I-10 smacking on the tarmac and being
      flattened by 18-wheelers.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net
    • Karen Surface
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 1, 1999
        Happy New Year All, I always figure that talk of snake handling and
        drinking of poison was symbolic. Kind of Steering clear of the Serpent and
        the poison of Temptation, you know the message behind the message.

        God, Please Help Me to Remember That I am Unique;
        Just Like
        Everyone Else. Light Everlasting, Y'All......kc
        ICQ #26771119