Re: Jesus poisoned

    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 1, 1999
      At 09:20 AM 1/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
      >Jack said:
      >
      >>Except that Y'shua didn't say that handling snakes and drinking poison
      >>nonsense. Probably a 3rd century North African named Ariston.

      > Mark 16:17 says: "These are
      >the signs that will be associated with believers: . . . they will pick up
      >snakes in their hands, and be unharmed should they drink deadly poison."
      >
      >Assuming the authenticity of these texts, ...
      snipped

      Assuming the authenticity? Please--- there is absolutely no early
      manuscript evidence for these texts at all. There is simply no way this
      saying is attributable to Jesus or even the early church. It is simply a
      very late scribal addition. This is why text criticism is an essential tool
      for historical Jesus work.

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++

    • Karen Surface
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 1, 1999
        Happy New Year All, I always figure that talk of snake handling and
        drinking of poison was symbolic. Kind of Steering clear of the Serpent and
        the poison of Temptation, you know the message behind the message.

        God, Please Help Me to Remember That I am Unique;
        Just Like
        Everyone Else. Light Everlasting, Y'All......kc
        ICQ #26771119