Secret Mark

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 10, 1998
      Jack Kilmon's speculation today about the motives of the Patriarchate for
      "squirreling away" the famous Clenetine letter prompt me to add another
      consideration to the ms interest,

      First, I have no doubt that M. Smith discovered a real document. And I
      would not question the judgment of those who had seen the PHOTOGRAPHS Smith
      provided, that the letter was authentically Clement's. That said:

      Has anyone done a study of the photographic film/plates used? Was it
      orthochromatic or panchromatic? How was it developed? In what solution?
      What lens/camera was used? What FILTRATION was used to make the record?
      From the photos of the document in my 1st edn _Secret Gospel_ the details
      are NOT that clear. It is clear that natural light was used for taking the
      photos. Anyone who has done any photocopying knows that filters HAD to be
      used to distinguish letters in a 200 year old volume. Note that the book
      print itself is quite legible; the copied pages leave something to be desired.

      This has nothing to do with Smith's integrity; I have never doubted it. It
      raises questions of how much of the bracketing [] Smith provided "to make
      the meaning clear" was necessary because of image-lacunae which can occur
      when copying is inexpertly done.

      Anyone able to provide the verification of the photographing process?

      -phil@...
      "History is the phenomenon living people invent
      and create to establish who they are
      based on what they think they were in the past."
      -- Linda Schele
    • Philip B. Lewis