Aquila and Marcion

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1998
      One of Paul's tentmaker co-workers, Aquila, was a native of Pontus
      (Marcion's home turf). He and his wife Priscilla had lately come from Italy
      because Claudius commanded all the Jews to leave Rome due to agitation in
      the Jewish community due to "Chrestus". Marcion's ekklesiai used the title
      Chrestus,(good man), instead of Christ, (anointed).
      This has me pondering that maybe Marcion inherited a tradition rather than
      just purely starting one. Paul was in Corinth about 18 months with Aquila
      preaching and making tents. At a later time it is likely that Aquila would
      return to his home Pontus. What would he take with him there? Marcion put an
      enourmous emphasis on Paul's letters. This might be the due to the
      christianity he was brought up with in Sinope which is a port city in
      Pontus.
      The information that we have about Marcion is from his critics so much of
      what they say about Marcion has to be taken with a grain or two of salt.

      Paul Miller