RE: Secret Mark

    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 2, 1998
      At 01:19 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:

      >> I am asking that those who claim a document exists show it. Why is that
      >> so hard for you to understand Yuri? Show us the document, and I will
      >> gladly admit its existence.
      >
      >Are you advocating that the ms should be stolen from its rightful owners?
      >Please clarify.
      >
      >Yuri.

      No- I am merely, simply, and politely asking that if such a ms exists, those
      who are supporting that existence go to the good brothers and ask to see it-
      photograph it- and make it available.

      ++++++++++++++++++++++
    • Philip B. Lewis
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 10, 1998
        Jack Kilmon's speculation today about the motives of the Patriarchate for
        "squirreling away" the famous Clenetine letter prompt me to add another
        consideration to the ms interest,

        First, I have no doubt that M. Smith discovered a real document. And I
        would not question the judgment of those who had seen the PHOTOGRAPHS Smith
        provided, that the letter was authentically Clement's. That said:

        Has anyone done a study of the photographic film/plates used? Was it
        orthochromatic or panchromatic? How was it developed? In what solution?
        What lens/camera was used? What FILTRATION was used to make the record?
        From the photos of the document in my 1st edn _Secret Gospel_ the details
        are NOT that clear. It is clear that natural light was used for taking the
        photos. Anyone who has done any photocopying knows that filters HAD to be
        used to distinguish letters in a 200 year old volume. Note that the book
        print itself is quite legible; the copied pages leave something to be desired.

        This has nothing to do with Smith's integrity; I have never doubted it. It
        raises questions of how much of the bracketing [] Smith provided "to make
        the meaning clear" was necessary because of image-lacunae which can occur
        when copying is inexpertly done.

        Anyone able to provide the verification of the photographing process?

        -phil@...
        "History is the phenomenon living people invent
        and create to establish who they are
        based on what they think they were in the past."
        -- Linda Schele