Re: Birth narratives (Ian)

    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 2, 1998
      At 00.33 02/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >At 04:25 AM 12/2/98 +0100, Ian Hutchesson wrote:
      >>I have received no serious challenges on either text-critical or linguistic
      >>grounds.
      >
      >Funny, that's exactly how I've felt about the lack of a serious rebuttal
      >from your part to well-reasoned objections on text-critical or linguistic
      >grounds. For example, you have yet to cite a single manuscript of Mark
      >that omits "from Nazareth" from 1:9.

      If you accept some form of solution of the synoptic problem, this post is
      merely quibbling.

      Ian
    • Chris Cutler
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 7, 1998
        Sorry to have to say so, Chris, but you've unacceptably confused 'truth'
        > with 'belief'. The notion of something being "true for person x" is nothing
        > more than another way of saying that x believes something to be true.
        Thank's for picking me up on that
        > Everyone has fundamental beliefs, of course, but it's misleading to call
        > these beliefs 'fundamental truths'. When your distinction is reworded as
        > one between "fundamental belief" and "universal belief", it makes much more
        > sense.

        I don't have a problem with that

        > BTW, the bit about the "believer's hat" was my way of trying to capture the
        > same idea that Mahlon and Bob have spoken of as "bracketing-off" one's
        > beliefs about the divinity of a person when one is "doing history" related
        > to that person. I have my doubts as to whether or how far this is possible,
        > but I'm willing to take their word for it that it is possible, since
        > they're the ones who find themselves in that situation.

        Surely the important thing for the believer 'doing history' is to declare their interest - that way the reader knows how many grains of salt to take to make the results more palletable (sp?).
        Best wishes
        Chris

        -----
        See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/crosstalk/?start=3936