Horsley from Jacob Knee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1998
      Now that the server is up from the dead...

      On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 00:17:23 -0000, jknee@... writes:
      >I am just beginning the Horsley book, much discussed on this list, having
      >just finished a magnificent book, by papyrologist Roger Bagnall, 'Egypt in
      >Late Antiquity' - and am struck by the great difference in detail between
      >the two.
      >
      >I'm struck by just how little we actually seem to know about Galilee -

      [... snip ... noted ...]

      You must have noted in Bagnell's text how much more we know of
      Ancient Egypt: Lots of homely detail - very little "literature",
      i. e, myth and hogwash...

      >And in a silly way - the other thing that struck me, as someone who still
      >lives within a monarchy - is how far the rhetoric of the book is similar to
      >the familiar tale of the American Revolution - a freedom loving people
      >overthrowing an oppressive foreign monarch.

      Another American Myth - by a people who forget that the Original
      Star Chamber, for which Charles I lost his head, martyred by the
      Puritans, was part of a process that led to the Great Revolution,
      establishing all the rights the US had to amend their Const-
      itution to recover - they had thrown out too many with their
      Revolution. I STILL can't understand why Clinton didn't campaign
      against the modern Starr Chamber Ken had created and turned him
      into a Barbie with the re_PUBLICANS_ who goaded him on.

      >Just thoughts,
      >Jacob Knee

      Thank you, Jacob, for providing an Hyde Park for another mon-
      archist to vent a different spleen on the navel gazing Amerks.