Gamalitis in Josephus Ant.

  • Bernard Muller
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1998
      Reference: Josephus Ant, XVIII, V, 1:
      "So Aretas made this the first occasion of his enmity between him and
      Herod , who had also some quarrel with him
      about their limits at the country of Gamalitis. So they raised armies on
      both sides, and prepared for war." Wm. Whiston translation

      Dear crosstalkers

      My first question is: Where was Gamalitis and to whom it belonged (30
      to 36C.E.)? I researched that some time ago (and I vaguely recall my
      finding) but I would like other inputs from all distinguished scholars
      out there.

      My second question is: According to the Whiston's translation, the
      repudiation of Aretas' daugther seems to be the first (chronologically)
      cause of the quarrel.
      However, Ian, who knows ancient Greek (I don't), wrote that the
      translation is flawed and it should be as: The repudiation was the major
      cause of the quarrel.
      I would like to have confirmation either way on that matter.
      To facilitate your task, I am putting the Greek here:
      "ho de archEn echthras tautEn poiEsamenos peri te horOn en gei tei
      GamalikEi"
      Bernard
      http://www.concentric.net/~Mullerb/