Off Topic

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1998
      Perhaps crosstalkers will keep in mind the fact that last Friday's fire in a
      dance hall in Sweden in which 30 kids died and others were hurt took place
      in Goteborg, Antonio Jerez's home town. Remembering may personalize the
      tragedy.

      -phil@...
      + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
      "History is the phenomenon living people invent
      and create to establish who they are
      based on what they think they were in the past."
      -- Linda Schele
    • Antonio Jerez
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 1998
        Philip B. Lewis wrote:

        >Perhaps crosstalkers will keep in mind the fact that last Friday's fire in a
        >dance hall in Sweden in which 30 kids died and others were hurt took place
        >in Goteborg, Antonio Jerez's home town. Remembering may personalize the
        >tragedy.

        Philip is right that we have had a big tragedy here in Goteborg. Unfortunately
        the death toll is even bigger than the figure Philip mentions - so far 60
        youngsters have died and about 30 have serious injuries. You read heart-
        wrenching stories every day in day in the papers about the tragedies that have
        befallen many families here in town. One family of immigrants from Iraq
        lost two daughers - one 12 years and another 17 years - in the fire. Many
        of the victims died when they desperately tried to return into the burning
        building to help relatives and friends.
        The whole town is certainly in a state of chock after this catastrophe.

        Best wishes

        Antonio