Book question

  • Anne Quast
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 1998
      Are any of you able to give me some information about some books? We
      received at catalog from a 'Christian' bookshop this week (we're on
      everyone's sucker list). In the catalog were some books that looked
      interesting: "The Complete Jewish Bible", "Jewish New Testament", and
      "Jewish New Testament Comentary" all by David Stern. By Joseph Shulam and
      Hilary LeCornu is a "Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Romans". Finally
      there is "Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era--2
      volume set". Has anyone ever heard of these? What is the background of
      the authors? Are they known as scholars in this area?
    • joe baxter
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 1998
        >Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 07:09:55
        >To: Anne Quast <anneq@...>
        >From: joe baxter <joseph@...>
        >Subject: Re: Book question
        >
        >At 07:20 PM 11/1/98 +1000, you wrote:
        >>Are any of you able to give me some information about some books? We
        >>received at catalog from a 'Christian' bookshop this week (we're on
        >>everyone's sucker list). In the catalog were some books that looked
        >>interesting: "The Complete Jewish Bible", "Jewish New Testament", and
        >>"Jewish New Testament Commentary" all by David Stern. By Joseph Shulam and
        >>Hilary LeCornu is a "Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Romans". Finally
        >>there is "Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era--2
        >>volume set". Has anyone ever heard of these? What is the background of
        >>the authors? Are they known as scholars in this area?
        >
        >I have two books by Stern, including the Jewish New Testament. It is
        sometimes useful for providing Hebrew words to NT passages. I can't say he
        is a highly respected scholar. I believe he is part of the Jews for Jesus
        movement.