Six $100,000 Grants to Write Books on Science and Religion

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1998
      For those who might be interested:

      >Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:14:35 -0600 (CST)
      >From: Gregory Singleton <G-Singleton@...>
      >Subject: Six $100,000 Grants to Write Books on Science and Religion
      >To: ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY <ecchst-l@...>
      >to compete for
      >The John Templeton Foundation is pleased to announce a competition for six
      >$100,000 awards to support sabbatical research and writing on the
      >constructive interface between science and religion in the 21st century.
      >Applications are encouraged from talented, research-focused, writers
      >representing any and all religious traditions, as well as non-religious
      >thinkers. Successful applicants will have demonstrated skills in research
      >and writing, exemplifying engaged, well-informed discourse, balanced
      >inquiry, and a humble approach to learning. This awards competition seeks
      >to stimulate outstanding research, writing, and publishing in the broad
      >field of science and religion.
      >Three topical categories are listed below for the present cycle. Proposals
      >should be submitted in one or more of the following three categories:
      >1) EVIDENCE OF PURPOSE: Investigations at the constructive interface of
      >science and religion which are focused broadly on the subject of teleology,
      >giving evidence of purpose and meaning in relation to cosmological,
      >evolutionary, and human cultural processes.
      >2) HUMAN CREATIVITY AND UNDERSTANDING: Considerations of the potential and
      >meaning of humanity's accelerating comprehension of reality and expanding
      >creative power with specific concern for moral and spiritual progress.
      >3) CONCEPTS OF GOD: Theological and philosophical investigation of the
      >relationship between God and World, especially which integrate scientific
      >insights and perspectives.
      > - Letters of Inquiry: January 4, 1999.
      > - Full Applications: May 3, 1999.
      > - Grants Announced September 3, 1999.
      >An important criteria of merit is effective dissemination of the work in
      >the form of chapters published in scholarly journals and distinguished
      >vision and mission of the John Templeton Foundation is to pursue research
      >at the boundary between theology and science through rigorous, open-minded
      >and empirically-focused methodologies, drawing together talented
      >representatives from a wide spectrum of fields of expertise. This has been
      >described as the "humble approach." Typically it seeks to focus the
      >methods and resources of scientific inquiry on topical areas which have
      >religious and theological significance ranging across the disciplines from
      >cosmology to healthcare. The Foundation sponsors a wide variety of project
      >initiatives pursuing the 'humble approach" in basic research, in pedagogy,
      >in promoting high-level dialog, and by awarding prizes for excellence in
      >research, writing, and teaching. Envisioned by Sir John Templeton
      >especially is the possibility of multiplying many aspects of spiritual
      >information, insight, and wisdom through the appropriate application of
> [...]

      Robert Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

      "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method':
      that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's
      position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our
      criticism to be worth while." [Sir Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific
      Discovery (1968), p. 260 n.*5]