Meanings/was D. Metaphors

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 1998
      On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:54:19 -0500, mgrondin@... writes:

      [... snip ... noted ...]

      >But now that you mention this distinction between office and
      >region-controlled, Mahlon, the Coptic 'MNTERO' (='MNT' + 'RRO'[='king'])

      Let's get the meaning of the Coptic straight first. 'MNT', as
      best as my small Lexicon tells me, is `Hell, the underworld'.
      Ancient Egyptian means roughly the same, being `the West' or `the
      hidden land'. Now 'RRO' - I couldn't find it but it looks very
      much like pRRO or `Great House' and it that is the meaing the
      Greek should be, transliterated, AUTOKRATOR, for that is what the
      Egyptians called most of the roman emperors, though initially
      they termed them as Alexandros and his successors were called,
      aping the Persian title, Heq Hequ, Ruler of Rulers.

      [... snip ... noted ...]

      >One more thing: even though most contemporary kings are relatively
      >powerless, surely anyone with a sense of history has a feel for what it
      >must have been like under the dictatorship of a powerful king, ruling under
      >the old doctrine of the "divine right of kings". If they don't, they ought
      >to. One can scarcely understand Biblical history at all without that
      >grounding.

      Try living under seven monarchs as my father did or four as I
      have.

      I've excised the comments arising from the Coptic and suggest
      you get a better grip on the idea. The Copts clearly understood
      it was their Kingdom of Osiris, trailing many ideas unmentioned
      shich is why today's lexicons call it hell first and then
      underworld when hell was a part of the underworld, namely where
      the devourer, a hippo like creature, lived.

      >Kind regards to all,
      >Mike G.

      Chow

      Tom Simms
    • Mike Grondin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 1998
        I wrote this morning to Mahlon:

        > ... the Coptic 'MNTERO' (='MNT' + 'RRO'[='king']) ...

        Tom Simms replied:

        > Let's get the meaning of the Coptic straight first. 'MNT', as
        > best as my small Lexicon tells me, is `Hell, the underworld'.
        > Ancient Egyptian means roughly the same, being `the West' or `the
        > hidden land'. Now 'RRO' - I couldn't find it but it looks very
        > much like pRRO or `Great House' ...

        No, no, no, Tom! Your lexicon is way too small. (Or maybe what's needed
        here is a grammar, in addition to a lexicon.) We're talking basically
        Sahidic Coptic here, wherein the morpheme 'MNT' is not-infrequently
        attached to a noun (whether modified or not) to form a new word, the
        meaning of which is directly related to the meaning of the noun. Example
        from GThom: '2HKE' = 'poor', 'MNT2HKE' = 'poverty' (the state of being
        poor). Whether or not 'MNT' also has meaning as a separate word by itself
        is not relevant here. As for 'pRRO', if this is rendered as 'p-RRO', with
        an implied separator between morphemes, it means 'the king'. Honestly, Tom,
        sometimes I think you know way too much Ancient Egyptology for your own
        good. :-)

        Regards,
        Mike G.
        Resources for the Study of NH Codex2