Re: the burial and Dom Crossan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5 9:22 AM
      Ragu1997@... wrote:

      Craig Blomberg recounts:
      > ==
      > Adela Yarbro Collins, a leading New Testament scholar at the University of
      > Chicago, wryly noted in a recent meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature
      > that at some of the proceedings of the JS, two of its leaders would get
      > together and, whenever they would agree on an opinion, they would announce to
      > the rest: "There is a consensus among scholars..."!
      > ==

      Ryan:

      Humor is not history. To my knowledge Craig Blomberg never attended a
      session of the JS (& I missed only 3 in 13 years). Adela attended only 4
      early sessions (none after 1988). Moreover, Adela owes her position at
      the U of Chicago in part to recommendations from Bob Funk & Dom Crossan,
      the 2 leaders of the JS that she alluded to in this anecdote (which is
      pure fiction). So her remarks are mistakenly cited as criticism of these
      men. You should recognize this anecdote as a midrash on Matt 18:20 (a
      saying which the JS voted black). It is a piece of in-house wit in the
      fraternity of biblical scholars who regularly spar with each other. And
      it is an excellent example of the type of self-deprecating humor that is
      featured at the banquet roasts at the end of every session of the
      seminar. (If you think this is an indictment of the JS's work you should
      get a transcript of some of Bob Price's satirical *tours de force* of
      recent years).

      So, lighten up!

      Shalom!

      Mahlon