A Note from a Sikh

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 1998
      A few days ago, I received a note from a Sikh asking for the GThom file
      that I send out to scholars. At the end of his note, he quoted one "St.
      Isaac the Syrian", as follows:

      >Persecute yourself, and your enemy is routed as fast as you approach.
      >Make peace with yourself, and heaven and earth make peace with you.
      >
      >Take pains to enter your own innermost chamber and you will see
      >the chamber of Heaven, for they are One and the Same,
      >and in entering One you Behold them Both.
      >
      >The Stairway to the Kingdom is withIn you, Secreted within your Soul.
      >Cast off the guilt of sin and you will find withIn you the Upward Path
      >that will make your Ascent possible.

      I found these thoughts to be quite beautiful, and it started me thinking on
      how I would answer the pastor who asked "Isn't is possible that Jesus was
      God incarnate?" One of the answers that springs to mind - perhaps the
      correct answer - is that, regardless of what we believe, we must assume
      that he was not, for purposes of our investigations. Or, if one likes, we
      could say that that question is irrelevant because we are concerned
      strictly with the human Jesu, not the divine one. These are good answers,
      but I think there may be something more important to be said here, and so I
      beg the indulgence of the reader for a brief moment of ahistoricity.

      One cannot help but find that all the world's great religions contain much
      truth and beauty. But they also all contain the seeds of evil. The reason
      for this is that they were all constructed by human beings - reaching for
      the divine, no doubt, but inevitably falling short. Thus it is that we see
      both great good and great evil arising from the same roots. ISTM that the
      good usually comes about when one tries to live out the basic _spirit_ of
      one's religion; the evil, when one insists on following "the letter of the
      law" - because there are some portions of that "letter" that are inevitably
      flawed, in one way or another. And none of it comes directly from God. So I
      would say that the enemies of Christians are not Muslims, nor the enemies
      of Sikhs, Hindus. Rather, the enemies of all lovers of divinity and truth
      are the ultra-orthodox of whatever stripe, who do evil in the name of good.

      OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. (It did feel good to say that, though.)

      Mike
      ------------------------------------
      Resources for the Study of NH Codex2
      http://www.geocities.com/athens/9068
    • Anne Quast
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 1998
        Are any of you able to give me some information about some books? We
        received at catalog from a 'Christian' bookshop this week (we're on
        everyone's sucker list). In the catalog were some books that looked
        interesting: "The Complete Jewish Bible", "Jewish New Testament", and
        "Jewish New Testament Comentary" all by David Stern. By Joseph Shulam and
        Hilary LeCornu is a "Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Romans". Finally
        there is "Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era--2
        volume set". Has anyone ever heard of these? What is the background of
        the authors? Are they known as scholars in this area?
      • joe baxter
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 1998
          >Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 07:09:55
          >To: Anne Quast <anneq@...>
          >From: joe baxter <joseph@...>
          >Subject: Re: Book question
          >
          >At 07:20 PM 11/1/98 +1000, you wrote:
          >>Are any of you able to give me some information about some books? We
          >>received at catalog from a 'Christian' bookshop this week (we're on
          >>everyone's sucker list). In the catalog were some books that looked
          >>interesting: "The Complete Jewish Bible", "Jewish New Testament", and
          >>"Jewish New Testament Commentary" all by David Stern. By Joseph Shulam and
          >>Hilary LeCornu is a "Commentary on the Jewish Roots of Romans". Finally
          >>there is "Judaism in the First Three Centuries of the Christian Era--2
          >>volume set". Has anyone ever heard of these? What is the background of
          >>the authors? Are they known as scholars in this area?
          >
          >I have two books by Stern, including the Jewish New Testament. It is
          sometimes useful for providing Hebrew words to NT passages. I can't say he
          is a highly respected scholar. I believe he is part of the Jews for Jesus
          movement.