re: 1 Cor 7:36

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5 11:25 AM
      Paul asks about the meaning of the word that is translated "unbecomingly".
      The Greek word is 'aschmonein'. This verb is derived from 'aschmonew',
      which means 'to behave disgracefully, dishonorably, indecently'.

      I don't know what to say in response to Jeff. He asked me for the source of
      my suggestion about parthenos and then says my source is no good. I can
      accept that- if a better source is suggested. But I cannot accept the
      blanket denunciation of a generation of scholarship just because it does not
      fit some interpreter's view of the data.

      So, if there are sources for the view that Paul does not mean what I have
      suggested, I would appreciate seeing them.

      Jim West, ThD
      Adjunct Professor of Bible