re: 1 Cor 7:36

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 1998
      Paul asks about the meaning of the word that is translated "unbecomingly".
      The Greek word is 'aschmonein'. This verb is derived from 'aschmonew',
      which means 'to behave disgracefully, dishonorably, indecently'.

      I don't know what to say in response to Jeff. He asked me for the source of
      my suggestion about parthenos and then says my source is no good. I can
      accept that- if a better source is suggested. But I cannot accept the
      blanket denunciation of a generation of scholarship just because it does not
      fit some interpreter's view of the data.

      So, if there are sources for the view that Paul does not mean what I have
      suggested, I would appreciate seeing them.

      Jim West, ThD
      Adjunct Professor of Bible