Re: Jewish Judaism Hebrew Israelite

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 1998
      Jeff Peterson wrote:
      > In these passages IOUDAIOI is used to designate adherents to the god of
      > Israel, whether resident in or outside of Judea. How widespread this usage
      > was and how it relates to the use of IOUDAIOS in a geographic sense are
      > questions for further study.

      Is there anything wrong with the analogy I used between
      Ioudaioi in Egypt or "people born in the Diaspora, relocated to
      Jerusalem, and called "IOUDAIOI from Mesopotamia, Judea,
      Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia," etc." and Ukranians in Wilkes-
      Barre PA, or NYC, or Melbourne Australia? I have students in
      class who will identify themselves as Polish although they
      are maybe fourth generation Americans. One can by marriage
      convert to being a Ukranian.... if I join the local Ukranian
      Catholic church and become deeply involved in community
      affairs I might well come to think of myself as Ukranian more than
      Welsh. Ukranianness is a religious identity not just a nationality
      identity.

      So I'm part of the Welsh diaspora, a matter I think of once a year
      when I realize that St. David's day passed and I didn't notice so
      I didn't get to put out my Welsh flag. But there are folks here,
      mainly in the Welsh Congregational Church who take Welshness
      quite seriously.

      So sure, there are Judeans, Ioudaioi, living in the disaspora
      for generations never seeing Jerusalem or, probably, caring much
      about it one way or another. Others taking it very seriously. And
      converts to it.

      Question arose, though, in the context of the discussion, "is it
      correct to say that Galileans are Ioudaioi (as opposed to Judeans
      who came to Galilee to live, who are certainly Ioudaioi)?
      Here I'd say no.

      Diaspora Ioudaioi are one thing, Galileans are something else.