Re: RE: Horsley's Galilee

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1998
      On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:58:45 -0700 (MST), Phil@... writes:

      >Isn't it a little strange that in spite of the prominence of Sephoris and
      >Tiberius in the 1st century Galilee, neither is mentioned at all in the
      >Synoptics. Nor is Scythopolis in Samaria? Tiberius is mentioned only in
      >GJohn as an author's identification of the Sea of Galilee (6.1), the port
      >from which boats had come (6.23, and in 21.1.
      >
      >What make ye of it?

      Since most Jews at the time, if you dip into Michael Grant briefly,
      were so highly Hellenized Galileans did not follow them. Jesus
      had the stamp of a Galilean Jew, that's what I think. Ten years
      ago I would have been aghast at such an idea. Today, it falls right
      into place. In my 69th year, I'm not made of stone though sometimes
      when I try to stand and am stiff in all the wrong places I doubt that.

      Tom Simms