Re: Thoughts of GosThom

    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 1, 1998
      At 04:54 PM 10/1/98 -0400, Stevan Davies wrote:
      >...What Mahlon and I are saying is that Thomas matches what a collection
      >of sayings drawn from oral tradition would be, for it has the
      >characteristics of primitiveness, lack-of-clear-redactional-material,
      >absence of synoptic order, presence of a few authentic sayings not
      >otherwise known, presence of inauthentic sayings. ...

      Well, now, these "inauthentic" sayings interest me (for the moment). I can
      understand inauthentic sayings as part of redactional material or editorial
      reworking, but if its just a collection of sayings, why should there be any
      inauthentic sayings? That is, if Thomas avoids editorial comment, why would
      he make up a saying (which is, after all, an editorial comment inserted
      into the mouth of a speaker.) Or are you just saying that Thomas was a
      somewhat indiscriminate collector of sayings and
      things-somebody-said-that-were-attributed-to-Jesus, and that Thomas didn't
      know the difference? Please explain.

      Bob
      *******************************
      Robert M. Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

      Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
      (Where charity and love are [found], God is there)
      9th century latin hymn
    • Michael T. MacDonell
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 22, 1998
        Dear Rene:

        I think it has a much simpler answer: Nobody cares what gender anybody is.
        Why should they? You pick the most likely, that's all. I cannot imagine
        that the distinction, if known would alter any item in the ongoing
        conversation.

        Best Regards,
        Mike

        At 07:49 AM 10/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
        > This disembodied forum of cyberspace, where all is transmitted via
        >printed word, can lead to amusing curiosities such as myself
        >being referred to lately on Crosstalk as "she" and even most recently
        >"Renee" (contrary to the evidence!) when I am in fact quite happily
        >male... :) No apologies are in order by anyone except myself for not
        >putting "Mr." in front of the name.
        > It just goes to show how easy it is for all of us to go beyond the
        >documentary evidence!
        >
        > ------------------------
        >
        > I'll be posting more GTh-Synoptic parallel statistics in the next 24
        >hours...
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >-Rene
        >

        >Rene Salm