Re: Thoughts of GosThom

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 1, 1998
      Mahlon H. Smith wrote:

      > I think there is a fourth argument to support Thomasine independence that puts the
      > dependence people on the defensive:
      >
      > 4. Randomness: GThom is regularly more disorganized than parallel
      > synoptic material.

      On the one hand, I think that if a similar organization were discernible between
      thomas/synoptics, then that would suggest strongly some kind of dependence. On the other
      hand, I don't think the absence of similar order, in and of itself, indicates anything.
      The reason I think this is that I can conceive of a situation in which the order would be
      essentially erased. Returning to analogies with my life, imagine this: I go to church
      and read a brief passage in one of the Gospels and listen to it expounded and then go
      home and for my notes, write down "Jesus said," and the part of the saying that was most
      meaningful to me. Of course, I would be writing from memory. Then, I go to church next
      week; if they are still in the same passage (which isn't likely in the churches I've been
      to), I don't find anything I like. The same cycle continues for the next few weeks and
      then I hear another saying that strikes a cord in me. And I go home and scribble "Jesus
      said," and the part of the saying that I liked. This second saying wouldn't show any
      similar order with any of the texts I had derived it from, but that wouldn't prove I
      hadn;'t borrowed. In any case, you get the analogy. My point is this: if the Gospel of
      Thomas truly did originate in the middle/late second century in a context of a church
      that routinely used the fourfold gospel in its worship and not everybody had a copy of
      the manuscipts being read, then the synoptic (and johannine) order would be completely
      destroyed. I think it is possible enough to say that lack of synoptic order does not
      indicate anything, in and of itself.

      Andrew
    • Michael T. MacDonell
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 22, 1998
        Dear Rene:

        I think it has a much simpler answer: Nobody cares what gender anybody is.
        Why should they? You pick the most likely, that's all. I cannot imagine
        that the distinction, if known would alter any item in the ongoing
        conversation.

        Best Regards,
        Mike

        At 07:49 AM 10/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
        > This disembodied forum of cyberspace, where all is transmitted via
        >printed word, can lead to amusing curiosities such as myself
        >being referred to lately on Crosstalk as "she" and even most recently
        >"Renee" (contrary to the evidence!) when I am in fact quite happily
        >male... :) No apologies are in order by anyone except myself for not
        >putting "Mr." in front of the name.
        > It just goes to show how easy it is for all of us to go beyond the
        >documentary evidence!
        >
        > ------------------------
        >
        > I'll be posting more GTh-Synoptic parallel statistics in the next 24
        >hours...
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >-Rene
        >

        >Rene Salm