Re: Thoughts of GosThom

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 1, 1998
      On 30 Sep 98 at 20:27, Andrew Bernhard wrote:

      > We should note Fitzmeyer's comment here: "[Grenfell and Hunt] noted that the
      > preserved part of the saying 'agrees exactly with the wording of' Lk 6:42.
      > However, a glance at a modern critical text of the the NT reveals that the
      > infinitive is found at the end of the verse. A. von Harnack explained the
      > discrepancy, nopting that 'recent editors, following their preference for B,
      > have put ekbalein at the end, whereas all other Uncials, and also the Coptic
      > version show the word where we find it in the Papyrus'. This being so, the
      > relation of the Oxyrhynchus logoi to the Lucan version is clear."
      > ("Oxyrhynchus Logoi and the Coptic Gospel of Thomas" 390-391)

      Thanks for this -- I had not noticed this before.

      > Fitzmeyer also notes that the conjunction kai does not correspond to the
      > Coptic, but it does correspond to the canonical parallels. It is extremely
      > unfortunate that we do not have more of this fragment as the possibility that
      > the verbatim agreement was even lengthier seems very possible.

      Indeed. It is worth noting, though, that the clear indication is that what
      came before P Oxy 1.1-4 must have corresponded closely to Luke 6.42 & par. The
      sentence is constructed differently in Greek and Coptic. The latter (saying
      26) has HOTAN . . . TOTE, "When . . . then". Oxyrhynchus, like Luke 6.42 &
      par., has: [imperative] . . . KAI TOTE, "[First take . . . .] and then",
      unless anyone can think of anything else that could have stood before KAI TOTE.
      This is an indication that this most extensive of the verbatim agreements was
      even more striking before the papyrus was damaged.

      Mark
      Dept. of Theology Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham Fax: +44 (0)121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT
      United Kingdom

      World Without Q: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
    • Michael T. MacDonell
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 22, 1998
        Dear Rene:

        I think it has a much simpler answer: Nobody cares what gender anybody is.
        Why should they? You pick the most likely, that's all. I cannot imagine
        that the distinction, if known would alter any item in the ongoing
        conversation.

        Best Regards,
        Mike

        At 07:49 AM 10/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
        > This disembodied forum of cyberspace, where all is transmitted via
        >printed word, can lead to amusing curiosities such as myself
        >being referred to lately on Crosstalk as "she" and even most recently
        >"Renee" (contrary to the evidence!) when I am in fact quite happily
        >male... :) No apologies are in order by anyone except myself for not
        >putting "Mr." in front of the name.
        > It just goes to show how easy it is for all of us to go beyond the
        >documentary evidence!
        >
        > ------------------------
        >
        > I'll be posting more GTh-Synoptic parallel statistics in the next 24
        >hours...
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >-Rene
        >

        >Rene Salm