Re: Judean Religion too?

  • Lewis Reich
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 1998
      On 30 Sep 98, at 23:03, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

      > Mahlon seemed to have misplaced the "Essene gate" a
      > little (and Lewis missed this one too). I don't think
      > this gate had anything to do with Herod's Temple. The
      > "Essene gate" was a city wall gate. As far as we know,
      > it was in the south-western part of Jerusalem, far away
      > from the Temple..... Here you will find plenty of info on
      > this subject. This is an article published originally in
      > BAR.

      I had read the BAR article, and was aware that the Essene
      gate was a city gate, and not a gate to the Temple. I have
      no idea whether Herod built it or not - after all he did a
      great deal of construction in Jerusalem besides the Temple
      Mount, and at least some of that construction (e.g. the
      towers of Phasael, Hippicus and Mariamne) related to the
      city's outer walls and gates. I was responding to Mahlon's
      suggestion that the gate was built for the Essenes'
      convenience.

      Lewis Reich
      LBR@...