Re: Thoughts of GosThom

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 56 , Sep 29, 1998
      I've been reading a bit about the Gospel of Thomas lately and was wondering
      what others would think if I were to make the following statement: the debate
      about the origin of the Gospel of Thomas boils down to two essential
      arguments. The argument for an early origin, independent of any of the
      canonical gospels is based on form critical grounds, i.e. sayings in the Gospel
      of Thomas are consistently more primitive than their canonical counterparts.
      The argument for a late origin, dependent on the canonical gospels is based on
      some verbatim agreements between the Gospel of Thomas and the canonical
      gospels.

      In this short summary (which might be worded better), have I gotten to the
      heart of the issue?

      Andrew
    • Michael T. MacDonell
      Message 56 of 56 , Oct 22, 1998
        Dear Rene:

        I think it has a much simpler answer: Nobody cares what gender anybody is.
        Why should they? You pick the most likely, that's all. I cannot imagine
        that the distinction, if known would alter any item in the ongoing
        conversation.

        Best Regards,
        Mike

        At 07:49 AM 10/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
        > This disembodied forum of cyberspace, where all is transmitted via
        >printed word, can lead to amusing curiosities such as myself
        >being referred to lately on Crosstalk as "she" and even most recently
        >"Renee" (contrary to the evidence!) when I am in fact quite happily
        >male... :) No apologies are in order by anyone except myself for not
        >putting "Mr." in front of the name.
        > It just goes to show how easy it is for all of us to go beyond the
        >documentary evidence!
        >
        > ------------------------
        >
        > I'll be posting more GTh-Synoptic parallel statistics in the next 24
        >hours...
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >-Rene
        >

        >Rene Salm