Judaen/Galilean Observance

  • Philip B. Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 1998
      Bob Schacht wrote:

      >I appreciate your introduction of Psalms into this discussion. I think they
      >are probably an essential part of Jewish praxis everywhere-- even if the
      >Psalms used varied from one place to another. However, Psalm 107 is
      >particularly associated with the pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

      Ps.107.1-32 was identified by E.Schmidt as comprising the liturgy used in
      presenting votive offerings in the Temple at Rosh Hashana. Of course it
      could be "associated with the pilgrimage to Jerusalem" since offerings paid
      in fulfilment of vows could only be presented at the Temple, which was in
      Jerusalem.

      However, the way in which it was used liturgically at Rosh Hashana was:
      worshippers were separated into four groups
      the officiating priest called Israel from north south east & west
      to come forward in appropriate ranks as
      first, those representing Israel's hunger in the wilderness
      crying to God
      second, those who had suffered in chains cried for deliverance
      third, those who were guilty of sin cried out to God
      finally, those who "went down to the sea in *ships* cried
      for salvation (here, literally, the Boat Source's "boat"
      became in GMark a *ship*
      As each course was called forward, the priestly choirs sang
      antiphonally and offerings were presented.
      Schmidt, I believe, did not consider the rest of Ps.107 to be employed in
      the Temple liturgy.
      -phil@...

      "Liberal" is not a dirty word;
      it is a state of grace.