Re: The crosstalk challenge

  • Antonio Jerez
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 3, 1998
      Here is my vote from Sweden:

      >> 1. Matt used GMark as a source.
      >
      >RED
      >
      >> 2. Matt used sources other than GMark.
      >
      >RED
      >
      >> 3. Luke used GMark as a source.
      >
      >RED
      >
      >> 4. Luke used sources other than GMark.
      >
      >RED
      >
      >> 5. Luke knew (of) GMatt.

      RED

      >> 6. Luke used GMatt as a source.

      PINK

      >> 7. Luke used at least one of GMatt's non-Markan sources as a source.
      >
      >RED
      >
      >> 8. All non-Markan parallels in GMatt & GLuke come from the same source
      >> (Q).

      BLACK

      A personal little comment on the voting of some of the folks who
      have given their voice already. I noticed for example that Bill Arnal
      voted Pink /Grey on nr 4 (Luke knowing Matthew). At the same time
      he voted black on nr 5 (Luke using Matthew as a source). I find this
      strange in the extreme. How likely is it really that an author knows a
      work by another author in the same genre and isn't influenced at all
      by his predecessor. Not likely at all, I would say. If Bill wants to be
      consistent I think he'd better vote black on both 4 and 5.

      Best wishes

      Antonio
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 7, 1998
        At 10:30 AM 9/5/98 -0400, Mahlon H. Smith wrote:
        >You read me right, Stephen. I was using a quick shorthand for the
        >definitions of my interpretation of the RPGB voting scale which the JS
        >adopted for Acts of Jesus:
        >
        >Red: "The historical reliability of this information is virtually
        >certain. It is supported by a preponderance of evidence." [History being
        >a science that depends on human interpretation of facts has nothing that
        >is "beyond doubt."]

        I guess I must quibble with the Jesus Seminar rather than you. It is a
        bit of a pet peeve of mine for legal terminology to be misused, and the
        phrase "preponderance of the evidence", the legal burden of proof in
        most civil cases, is one such phrase. Preponderance of the evidence does
        not mean "virtually certain", but merely that a plantiff only needs a
        51-49 split. In other words, the pros outweigh the cons.

        >Pink: "This information is probably reliable. It fits well with other
        >evidence that is verifiable." [This shows a shade less conviction in the
        >thesis, but still indicates a preference for accepting it when weighed
        >against alternatives.]

        This, I would call "preponderance of the evidence."

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...