Head of Jesus in Scotland

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 4:48 PM
      Have you heard the latest story of someone in Scotland who thinks
      the Head of Jesus in buried in a chapel in Scotland. I'm listen-
      ing to the leadup on CBC Radio-1's As It Happens right now.

      A certain Dr.Labler whose book _The Head of God_ says the Temp-
      lar's found it under Solomon's Temple. This connects to the
      Shroud Of Turin appearance in _Holy Blood Holy Grail_.

      Ask me no more.

      This man argues some early christians took the strict Pauline
      view of a spiritual resurrection only and goes from there ...

      Tom |-<
    • James R. Davila
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4 5:44 AM
        >Have you heard the latest story of someone in Scotland who thinks
        >the Head of Jesus in buried in a chapel in Scotland. I'm listen-
        >ing to the leadup on CBC Radio-1's As It Happens right now.

        Which chapel Tom? Maybe I should get out my shovel and go for a drive. :-)

        Jim Davila
        University of St. Andrews
        Scotland
        jrd4@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4 6:58 AM
          On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:44:59 +0100, jrd4@... writes:

          >>Have you heard the latest story of someone in Scotland who thinks
          >>the Head of Jesus in buried in a chapel in Scotland. I'm listen-
          >>ing to the leadup on CBC Radio-1's As It Happens right now.
          >>

          >Which chapel Tom? Maybe I should get out my shovel and go for a drive. :-)

          Phone the BBC and get the details. If they haven't carried the story, then
          maybe it's a con, though from this side of the pond when the stone of Scone
          is returned with full ceremony then all ancient artifacts in Scotland may have
          some truth behind them <faint grin>.

          Then get back to Crosstalk with the details. It's not easily retrieved from
          CBC though I'll try here.

          Thomas Murray Simms

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4 8:50 AM
            On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:44:59 +0100, jrd4@... writes:

            >>Have you heard the latest story of someone in Scotland who thinks
            >>the Head of Jesus in buried in a chapel in Scotland. I'm listen-
            >>ing to the leadup on CBC Radio-1's As It Happens right now.
            >>

            >Which chapel Tom? Maybe I should get out my shovel and go for a drive. :-)
            >
            >Jim Davila
            >University of St. Andrews
            >Scotland
            >jrd4@...

            Here's a download off CBC's As It Happens Wed evening..

            CHRIST'S HEAD/CHURCH REAX (TM) Duration: 00:08:58

            The head of Jesus Christ is buried under a chapel in Scotland. So
            says Keith Laidler, an author and anthropologist. His theory is that the
            gallant Knights Templar dug up the head of Christ in Jerusalem, and
            carted it to Scotland. However the authorities of The Rosslyn Chapel
            won't give Dr Laidler permission to excavate the grounds. Keith Laidler
            is the author of 'The Head of God - The Lost Treasure of the Templars'.
            He's in Newcastle, Eng.

            Father Danny Mcloughlin is the spokesman for The R.C Church in Glasgow.
          • Kevin Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4 9:18 AM
              At 11:50 AM 9/4/98 AST, Tom Simms wrote:

              >Here's a download off CBC's As It Happens Wed evening..
              >
              > CHRIST'S HEAD/CHURCH REAX (TM) Duration: 00:08:58
              >
              > The head of Jesus Christ is buried under a chapel in Scotland. So
              >says Keith Laidler, an author and anthropologist. His theory is that the
              >gallant Knights Templar dug up the head of Christ in Jerusalem, and
              >carted it to Scotland. However the authorities of The Rosslyn Chapel
              >won't give Dr Laidler permission to excavate the grounds. Keith Laidler
              >is the author of 'The Head of God - The Lost Treasure of the Templars'.
              >However the authorities of The Rosslyn Chapel
              >won't give Dr Laidler permission to excavate the grounds.

              That this particular chapel might have held treasure associated with the
              Templars has been the object of pure speculation for a long time. But the
              previous versions of this story (as far as I know) discussed only the
              possibility of a treasure being hidden in this chapel. No one knows what
              the Templars, who were digging on the Temple Mount, actually dug up (if
              anything). Some have speculated that they were seeking the Ark of the
              Covenant. What's seems to be "new" in this story are two features: 1.)
              that the Templars dug up the "head of Christ" under the Temple and 2.) that
              the Templars buried this "head of Christ" under Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland.
              While this theory seems to have a certain symmetry to it (dig it up under
              this holy building, bury it under that holy building), alas, the new
              development concerning the "head of Christ" does not appear to be an
              improvement on the treasure story and I'm not surprised that "authorities
              of The Rosslyn Chapel won't give Dr Laidler permission to excavate the
              grounds."

              What I wonder is how legitimate news-gathering services end up running
              these type of stories. All sorts of people (including ones with degrees)
              hold all kinds of opinions and advocate all types of theories. At what
              point does the media choose to highlight a particular theory and elevate it
              to the status of "news?" When a book is published? When "authorities"
              reject a request to "excavate the grounds?" It often seems as if the
              decision to publicize a particular theory is based on the shock value of
              the theory, with little or no regard for the actual evidence.

              - Kevin
            • Anne Quast
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5 5:44 AM
                At 09:58 4/09/98 AST, Tom Simms wrote:
                >On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:44:59 +0100, jrd4@... writes:
                >>
                >>>Have you heard the latest story of someone in Scotland who thinks
                >>>the Head of Jesus in buried in a chapel in Scotland. I'm listen-
                >>>ing to the leadup on CBC Radio-1's As It Happens right now.
                >>>

                >>Which chapel Tom? Maybe I should get out my shovel and go for a drive. :-)
                >
                >Phone the BBC and get the details. If they haven't carried the story, then
                >maybe it's a con, though from this side of the pond when the stone of Scone
                >is returned with full ceremony then all ancient artifacts in Scotland may
                have
                >some truth behind them <faint grin>.
                >
                >Then get back to Crosstalk with the details. It's not easily retrieved from
                >CBC though I'll try here.
                >
                >Thomas Murray Simms
                >>
                >>Jim Davila
                >>University of St. Andrews
                >>Scotland
                >>jrd4@...

                There is a book by Andrew Sinclair which says that the Holy Grail is buried
                at St. Clair castle at Rosslyn in Scotland. Is the head of Christ idea a
                follow on from this?

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6 6:37 AM
                  On Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:44:45 +0900, anneq@... writes:
                  >At 09:58 4/09/98 AST, Tom Simms wrote:
                  >>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:44:59 +0100, jrd4@... writes:

                  [... snip ... noted ...]

                  >There is a book by Andrew Sinclair which says that the Holy Grail is buried
                  >at St. Clair castle at Rosslyn in Scotland. Is the head of Christ idea a
                  >follow on from this?

                  Yes, see the following posted to Crosstalk Friday.

                  Here's a download off CBC's As It Happens Wed evening..

                  CHRIST'S HEAD/CHURCH REAX (TM) Duration: 00:08:58

                  The head of Jesus Christ is buried under a chapel in Scotland. So
                  says Keith Laidler, an author and anthropologist. His theory is that the
                  gallant Knights Templar dug up the head of Christ in Jerusalem, and
                  carted it to Scotland. However the authorities of The Rosslyn Chapel
                  won't give Dr Laidler permission to excavate the grounds. Keith Laidler
                  is the author of 'The Head of God - The Lost Treasure of the Templars'.
                  He's in Newcastle, Eng.

                  Father Danny Mcloughlin is the spokesman for The R.C Church in Glasgow.

                  Also my comment to the question why does the press run these stories:

                  Why running the story? It IS the Silly Season for News. August is
                  the time when news is scarce, especially filler pieces, AND, it is
                  the run-up to the Fall Book Selling Season. One need feeds on the
                  other.

                  As to your "treasure" opinion, my view is this is a Templar Story
                  from the time in France when The Shroud of Turin with iis image,
                  which when the cloth is folded right is as good a source for the
                  Mandylion tales as any and also the Inquisition style interrogation
                  of the Templars in France before they were burned at the stake that
                  alleged the Knights worshipped a special image.

                  There is an equivalenmt image from sothern Englanmd found at Temple
                  combe, Somerset in 1945. This suggests something akin to the Man-
                  dylion images which are known from St. John's church at Sakkli,
                  Cappadocia and St. Catherine's Monastery in Sinai to two locations in
                  Genoa and in the Cathedral of Loan in France.

                  Before you say any more, read Ian Wilson's text with Vernon Miller"s
                  photos in _The Mysterious Shroud_ Doubleday, 1986. You can say what
                  you like about this book and H-C will smile but don't forget most of
                  Wilson's earlier works on this are from Harper Collins.

                  Tom Simms
                • James R. Davila
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6 8:55 AM
                    Thanks Tom and Anne for the info. Maybe I can build a trip into our
                    holiday plans this winter. But, alas, they'll probably make me leave my
                    shovel in the car.

                    Jim Davila
                    University of St. Andrews
                    Scotland
                    jrd4@...

                    >On Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:44:45 +0900, anneq@... writes:
                    >>At 09:58 4/09/98 AST, Tom Simms wrote:
                    >>>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:44:59 +0100, jrd4@... writes:
                    >
                    > [... snip ... noted ...]
                    >
                    >>There is a book by Andrew Sinclair which says that the Holy Grail is buried
                    >>at St. Clair castle at Rosslyn in Scotland. Is the head of Christ idea a
                    >>follow on from this?
                    >
                    >Yes, see the following posted to Crosstalk Friday.
                    >
                    >Here's a download off CBC's As It Happens Wed evening..
                    >
                    > CHRIST'S HEAD/CHURCH REAX (TM) Duration: 00:08:58

                    <SNIP>