The appelation "St./Saint" and religious sensitivity (was Mark 8:19-21)

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 1998
      Mike Grondin wrote:

      > Jeff Peterson, Institute for Christian Studies, mentions:
      >
      > >... Austin Farrer['s] ... unjustly neglected _St Matthew and St Mark_...
      >
      > Unjustly? Maybe, based on the contents, but perhaps it was the title that
      > was off-putting. I myself tend to shy away from books that have the word
      > 'St' in the title. I take it to be a warning-flag that the author is going
      > to be a mite too concerned about religious sensitivities for my liking.

      While in many modern works the appelation "St./Saint" often *does*
      signal a reverential approach to the evanglelists that can border on the
      cloying, in *this* instance Farrer is simply reflecting a British
      convention (popular among the most hardnosed NT scholars of the 50's and
      60's-- witness the title to D.E. Nineham's Pelican commentary on GMark)
      with respect to how the evangelists shoud be named. If anything should
      put you off about Farrer, it should be his tendency to indulge in some
      bizarre numerical speculations.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --