Re: Satyricon

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 1998
      On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:07:10 -0400, cygnus6@... writes:

      >Tom,
      >

      >> Does macy's tell gimbels?
      >

      >If there is a profit to be made? You betcha they would! In scholarship, I
      >think that profit is knowledge and information, no?

      In the short run, no - which is why others only let patents run
      short time - in yhe long run, sadly - as Lord Keynes said - we are
      all dead.

      >> I spent two houras this afternoon putting rogether a piece on
      >> the issue, felt it was pretty good and got out of my word processor
      >> to send and forgot to save it. (I usually save every paragraph but when
      >> the writing mood hits me I forget about cpu routines...)
      >
      >I commiserate with you on this. While computers give us so many good things,
      >they can also be the bearer of much misery and frustration. I have gone
      >through the exact same thing that happened to you this afternoon. Hop back
      >on that horse.
      >
      >> A short version tells you I was startled to discover almost
      >> NO verses from Judges Joshua Kings Chronicles Samuel in the DSS!
      >>
      >> IOW there were no history books in the Hebrew Bible! pre 70 BCE, ie...
      >> I UNDERSTAND - ie, I'm not sure - but the LXX translations are also
      >> shy of those texts too - the 1st C BCE pieces that have survived.
      >
      >OK, this is more like it! Is it possible that the writers and compilers of
      >the DSS were simply not concerned with the history portions of the OT? Or
      >are you suggesting that these texts were not written until later? If neither
      >of these, what are the "experts" using to explain these absences of some of
      >the most gruesome of biblical texts?
      >
      >> Go through Wise, Abegg & Cook and see where Leviticus draws the line
      >> with forbidden behavior. Halakha was much much simpler!
      >
      >No 613 (or is it 614? I always forget) laws of the Holiness Code? I am very
      >interested to see where these lines are drawn and will definitely look into
      >your sources. Maybe there is more basis for Reform Judaism than the Chasidim
      >would have us all believe?
      >
      >> Suddenly I realize that Jesus was preaching "Go back to basics."
      >> He was going contrary to another trend in Judaism that wanted to go
      >> so far right they'd be spending their lives splitting hairs.
      >>
      >> After the destruction of the Temple that group became normative Judaism.
      >
      >Well... I'm currently studying the Sermon on the Mount/Plain and while much
      >of it is gray/black in T5G, there is A LOT of, "You were taught this, but
      >you should do this." I am not really sure how this affects your theory but
      >it would seem to go against it. I can't help but wonder if this "back to
      >basics" Jesus is a way to tie the man to the Essene community that many want
      >to tie him to. But... you guys are the scholars... I'm the five and dime.

      No, I used to think Jesus was strongly influenced by Essenes but their
      strict halakha was no His number. And, BTW, I have one History course on
      my CV - Freshman World...Egyptology is my bag.

      >> Sorry this isn't coherent... and more balanced, but you asked.
      >
      >Not at all. You have provided me with something to look into and more
      >knowledge than I had when I asked. For that I am grateful.

      Two little snippets of ommissions from the Dead Sea Scrolls that
      came from non-list people asking questions:
      1. The Jehovah's Witnesses' verse about "eating no blood"
      (Lev 3:17; Lev 7:25,27; Lev 10:18; Lev 17:10,12,14; Lev 19:26.
      2. Gay bashers on "lie with mankind" (Lev 20:13)

      Oh yes, one of my favorite arguments used to that Bithiah, the
      Egyptian Princess wife of Solomon, brought all sorts of Wisdom
      Literature in her library. Not so, as a private post to someone on
      another List shows:

      * None of the following texts I used to support my Bithiah arguement are
      in the Dead Sea Scrolls:

      1 Kings 3:1 And Solomon made affinity with Pharaoh king of Egypt, and
      took Pharaoh's daughter, and brought her into the city of David, until
      he had made an end of building his own house, and the house of the LORD,
      and the wall of Jerusalem round about.

      1 Kings 7:8 And his house where he dwelt had another court within the
      porch, which was of the like work. Solomon made also an house for
      Pharaoh's daughter, whom he had taken to wife, like unto this porch.

      1 Kings 9:16 For Pharaoh king of Egypt had gone up, and taken Gezer,
      and burnt it with fire, and slain the Canaanites that dwelt in the city,
      and given it for a present unto his daughter, Solomon's wife.

      1 Kings 9:24 But Pharaoh's daughter came up out of the city of David
      unto her house which Solomon had built for her: then did he build Millo.

      1 Chronicles 4:18 And his wife Jehudijah bare Jered the father of
      Gedor, and Heber the father of Socho, and Jekuthiel the father of
      Zanoah. And these are the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh,
      which Mered took.

      2 Chronicles 8:11 And Solomon brought up the daughter of Pharaoh out
      of the city of David unto the house that he had built for her: for he
      said, My wife shall not dwell in the house of David king of Israel,
      because the places are holy, whereunto the ark of the LORD hath come.

      *In fact, there are only

      Book Fragments Verses

      Joshua 15 23
      Judges 2 2
      1 Sam 4 19
      2 Sam 3 6
      1 Kings 2 25
      2 Kings 3 19
      1 Chron 2 13
      2 Chron 2 5

      .. telling me the Historical books were not either well known nor by
      any evidence I know were they "finished" even in the time of Jesus
      except in Greekand maybe not there also...

      >Sincerely,
      >Sam Gibson
      >{---Please note the new addresses---}
      >e-mail cygnus6@...
      >web site http://www.cygnus6.com
      >{---Please note the new addresses---}
      >"You might have lived a good life as an exemplary Christian,
      >only to be met at the gates of Heaven by Mohammed.
      >That's called fate."
      >-Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist from Rush

      More L8R?