Re: Jesus' admonitions (re: Davies on Romans)

  • Robert Schacht
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 1998
      > Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:07:17 -0700
      > > From: Bob Schacht
      >
      > > Earlier today I wrote to Steve with a list of Jesus' admonitions, mainlyy
      > > those connected with Luke's Sermon on the Plain (6:17-26)...
      > > I now wish to replace the Motive Clause column with a column of references
      > > to Romans, following suggestions by Davies and Brooks[=BB].
      > >
      > > With this background, let's add Romans to the list (NRSV):
      > >
      > > Now, would Davies, Brooks or others like to develop this list, and the
      > > parallels with Romans further? I have seen elsewhere that Brooks has other
      > > admonitions that could be added to this list.
      >
      > Bob, I just do not understand what you are up to here.
      >
      > You seem to be going somewhere but I don't know where.
      >
      > Steve

      Steve,
      Well, thank goodness again for Findmail. It looks like the CrossTalk Worm has deleted my address again from its distribution file.
      Anyway, to answer your question, let's review the bidding. A few days ago you posted a note to CrossTalk with a bunch of "imperatives" from Romans. You suggested that the "imperatives" were a rhetorical form likely to represent a genuine Sayings tradition, if I remember right.

      My tactic was to say, OK, let's take a look at the Imperatives of Jesus as a rhetorical form. Since the JSem hasn't gotten around to doing a red letter edition of Paul yet (although I hear its on their list), my tactic was to switch from possible Jesus imperatives in Romans to allegedly Yeshuine imperatives in the Gospels, using T5G to evaluate them. You had suggested Luke's Sermon on the Plain as a parallel for the imperatives in Romans, so I started there, and added some related material from Matthew. In this post to which you were responding, I posted some of the links to Romans to mark the substance of that parallel. The results were rather encouraging: Many Red and Pink sayings, many Gray, and only a few Black. Hence, it seems clear that "Imperatives" (your word) or 'admonitions' (the word used in T5G) were a type of discourse that almost certainly goes back to Jesus, and we have a pretty good idea what a bunch of them were (see list). Furthermore, T5G suggests that these!
      formed the core of Jesus' "teaching".

      So where I was going was to suggest:
      1. Are there more parallels between imperatives in Romans and those attributed to Jesus in the Gospels?

      2. Do other imperatives attributed to Jesus in the Gospels also rate high, or did I just happen on a particularly good set of Jesuine imperatives?

      3. What can this set of imperatives, perhaps including those of a similar frame of mind in Romans, tell us about the historical Jesus?

      Does that clarify things?

      I'm sending this message from FindMail, so let's see if CrossTalk accepts it.

      Thanks,
      Bob

      -----
      Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/crosstalk/?start=2117