Re: ane Where was Jesus tried?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 1998
      George Athas wrote:

      > The gospels mention that Jesus was tried in a place called the
      > Praetorium. From Josephus, we know that the Prefect of Judaea had his
      > temporary residence in Herod's citadel, in the western quarter of
      > Jerusalem. Acts 23:35 also makes mention of the "Herod's Praetorium".
      > This is usually all taken as evidence that the trial of Jesus before
      > Pontius Pilatus took place on the grounds of Herod the Great's palace in
      > Jerusalem. However, the Antonia fortress in the north-east quarter of
      > Jerusalem housed the Roman garrison. So, in which of these citadels was
      > Jesus tried - Herod's Palace, or the Antonia Fortress? What is current
      > opinion (not current references)?

      I think that Pilatus stayed at the Antonia Fortress rather than the
      Citadel in order to be "on top" of things during Pesach. This was
      a very tense period for Pilatus with the possibility of civil
      disturbances very high. He would have stayed at the Fortress in
      direct contact with the garrison at all times. After all, this is
      why he was in Jerusalem in the first place.
      The presence of the "gabbatha" is also suggestive with the
      incised "king's game" still evident. This seems to confirm
      this location as a place where a prisoner's fate was decided
      and it's suggestive that this was the very same "king's game"
      used to mock Jesus.

      Jack

      Min d'LA rokHEM l'maRAN yeSHUa meshyCHA niheYAH. maRAN aTHA

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net