  • Freddy Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 1998
      Can someone help please.If this is the wrong list please advise me where
      to look.

      The thing that keeps amazing me about the early church is rapid adoption
      and spread of Christianity in the first 100 years despite persecution
      from all official religions. Is there any research on how this spread
      took place? Whilst I appreciate the role of hellenism in the eastern
      mediterranean and that cultures overlapped,this spread of the early
      church could have been caused by fugitives in the first generation but
      in three generations to have sread along the north african coast, modern
      Turkey as well as north from Jerusalem is very rapid growth by any
      standards.

      many thanks

      Freddy Davis

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 1998
        Freddy,
        You must have missed the discussion of Rodney Stark's book on this subject.
        That might supply much of what you're looking for. James Covey did a review
        of it here a few weeks ago.

        Bob

        At 10:14 AM 8/4/98 +0000, Freddy Davis wrote:
        >Can someone help please.If this is the wrong list please advise me where
        >to look.
        >
        >The thing that keeps amazing me about the early church is rapid adoption
        >and spread of Christianity in the first 100 years despite persecution
        >from all official religions. Is there any research on how this spread
        >took place? Whilst I appreciate the role of hellenism in the eastern
        >mediterranean and that cultures overlapped,this spread of the early
        >church could have been caused by fugitives in the first generation but
        >in three generations to have sread along the north african coast, modern
        >Turkey as well as north from Jerusalem is very rapid growth by any
        >standards.
        >
        >many thanks
        >
        >Freddy Davis

        "Is it not extraordinary to the point of being a miracle, that so loose
        and ill-constructed a narrative in an antique translation of a dubious
        text should after so many centuries still have power to quell and
        dominate a restless, opinionated, overexercised and undernourished,
        twentieth-century mind?"
        Malcolm Muggeridge _Jesus Rediscovered_ (1969), writing about
        the KJV New Testament -