Kennedy bios

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 1998
      At 08:50 PM 8/3/98 +0000, Jim West wrote:
      >The only problem is that we are talking about use of sources. Schlesinger
      >and company most certainly did not make use of each other's stuff as they
      >composed their books on Kennedy.

      How do you know that? I think you're guessing. And even if one was not
      DEPENDENT on the other, the second or third could be trying to correct the
      spin that a previous author put on certain incidents.

      > Mt and Lk did use Mark.

      A plausible THEORY.

      >The analogy, Bob, falters on that simple fact.

      Facts are not always so simple. Besides, I still think the idea is worth
      playing with.

      >My suggestion, then, that no NT scholar would use Lindsey is still
      >appropriate, because the issue is dependence, not similarity.

      "Dependence" is a theory built on similarities.

      I recognize that my suggestion has many weak points, among them that the
      time interval between the death of the hero and the appearance of the bios
      was much shorter; we KNOW a lot more about the documentary sources
      available to all of the authors; Sorenson & Schlesinger are known to have
      been eye witnesses, whereas the evangelists were not, etc. etc. So feel
      free to ignore my suggestion.

      Bob

      "Is it not extraordinary to the point of being a miracle, that so loose
      and ill-constructed a narrative in an antique translation of a dubious
      text should after so many centuries still have power to quell and
      dominate a restless, opinionated, overexercised and undernourished,
      twentieth-century mind?"
      Malcolm Muggeridge _Jesus Rediscovered_ (1969), writing about
      the KJV New Testament -