Tom Wright

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 1998
      Want to check out Tom Wright's approach to the historical Jesus, but don't
      have the time to read his books? Help is at hand! You can now buy his 6
      part video, Jesus: The New Way! for $60 from Christian Book Distributors, at
      http://www.christianbook.com
      The CBD squib sez

      "Christians tend to view Jesus through a lens of church doctrine. Jews
      regard him with skepticism. To the indifferent, he may seem only a shadowy
      figure, largely irrelevant to today's world. In Jesus: The New Way! 6-Part
      Series, historian and biblical scholar Dr. tom Wright strives to answer
      questions raised by each of these groups by examining the historical Jesus,
      and who he claimed to be, in the context of first-century Judaism. A
      compelling journey! 6 parts, 180 minutes total."

      Has anyone seen this? How helpful do you think it would be for introducing
      a bunch of pew sitters to HJ research?

      Inquiring minds want to know,
      Bob
      "Is it not extraordinary to the point of being a miracle, that so loose
      and ill-constructed a narrative in an antique translation of a dubious
      text should after so many centuries still have power to quell and
      dominate a restless, opinionated, overexercised and undernourished,
      twentieth-century mind?"
      Malcolm Muggeridge _Jesus Rediscovered_ (1969), writing about
      the KJV New Testament -
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 1998
        At 10:26 PM 8/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
        >Bob Schacht wrote:
        >

        >Just being back from another little detour to the south of Sweden and
        >Germany my eye caught the special attention of this little message
        >of Bob. Since I have read Wright's Jesus' books (and also his book
        >on Paul) and have come to the conclusion that the man often works
        >like an idiot, I cannot see any reason that his new video would be any
        >better than his writings. But I may of course be mistaken.

        Ouch!!!! (though I agree in your assesment of Wright's writings).

        >And my appreciation of the general intelligence level of most biblical scholars
        >hasn't become more positive since I read another review of Wright's
        >book in the journal "Biblical Interpretation". The reviewer - Paul Achtemeier -
        >wrote a glowing review of Wright's Jesus book without even for a moment
        >spotting the many problems with it.

        Double ouch! Now this one really hurts.

        >It's also good to see that it is life on Crosstalk even in high Summer.
        >When do the rest of you on the other side of the Atalantic have vacations?
        >I've just finished my five weeks. Have to go back to work on Monday.

        5 weeks?! my god.... what kinda job lets ya have 5 weeks off?

        >Best wishes
        >
        >Antonio

        Best,

        and welcome back.

        Jim

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        Adjunct Professor of Bible

      • Antonio Jerez
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 1998

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 1998
            Antonio wrote:

            >>It's also good to see that it is life on Crosstalk even in high Summer.
            >>When do the rest of you on the other side of the Atalantic have vacations?
            >>I've just finished my five weeks. Have to go back to work on Monday.

            Jim West replied:
            >5 weeks?! my god.... what kinda job lets ya have 5 weeks off?

            Almost any kind of job. By state law every worker in Sweden is
            entiteled to a minimum of 5 weeks of paid vacation. This is not
            something unique for Sweden. Almost all west European countries
            have similar vacation lenghts - I think the Germans have even got
            a sixth week. When it comes to vacations I think we are much better
            off in good old Europe than in America. The american workers haven't
            realized yet that they are virtually enslaved and cheated up to the neck.

            >>Best wishes
            >>
            >>Antonio
            >
            >Best,
            >
            >and welcome back.