Re: JB [was Zealotry]

  • BERNARD MULLER
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 1998
      Lewis Reich wrote:

      > On 25 Jul 98, at 16:37, BERNARD MULLER wrote:
      >
      > > Then, why in the post 80's, Josephus would suggest he became a "peace"
      > > Pharisee in his very early adult years, when later he was definitively on
      > > the war side? About his declaration of him joining the Pharisee at an
      > > early age, after the Bannus' years, I cannot understand it as an attempt
      > > by Josephus to put him on any peace side.
      >
      > The "peace" and "war" sides were not black and white. Once war broke out,
      > those who hoped to reach (or restore) some accommodation with Rome had
      > only one chance to influence the course of events. They had to affiliate
      > themselves with the "war" party in charge. So you found among those leading
      > the country in revolt people from aristocratic backgrounds who would try to
      > guide the crisis to a resolution that would minimize the damage.

      Lewis, I totally agree with you. Josephus' profession of becoming a
      Pharisee had nothing to do with any peace or war faction. Also, it seems
      that priests and Jewish aristocrats were intent to limit the damage in
      66C.E. Josephus was probably one of those. He got involved in some
      half-hearted war effort, priding himself to have avoided the destruction
      of Tiberias and Sepphoris.

      > > I also think the crowds were not assembling to hear Jesus, but to
      > > participate in a Jewish festival, in an open space between
      > > villages. Of course, they could not all go to Jerusalem: too far.
      >
      > Do you have any source which describes any Jewish festival being celebrated in
      > the open space between villages (i.e. in the middle of nowhere)?

      Absolutely not. But what do we know about Galilean peasantry? This
      proposition was only based on logic and nothing else. Please note that
      the area was so populated that "middle of nowhere" would have been
      within one or two hours walk from many villages and towns. What a better
      opportunity to have a feast/picnic among your friends, meet relatives
      from other places, get out of cramped houses and dirty villages, whose
      synagogues were to small to accommodate a large crowd, as during a
      religious holiday? Please note, I do not entertain this hypothesis in my
      HJ, because I could not find any evidence.

      > Lewis Reich
      > LBR@...

      Bernard, au revoir.
      The "nuts and bolts" Historical Jesus