Re: Galilean (as in Galileo, not Galilee!) method.

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
      Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > I don't think any member of the JS would claim that all the criteria
      > used were foolproof or that certain genuinely Yeshuine sayings did not
      > fall through
      > and certain non-Yeshuine sayings made the grade.

      An absolutely correct assessment.

      > I don't think the
      > finished product as represented by 5G should be considered final and
      > debate can continue by other scholars on the various "colors." The
      > point is a groundwork has been laid where before there was only
      > guesswork.

      Precisely! The JS never represented its work as the final word on
      anything. It is always presented it as a capsule summary of collegial
      reasoning & judgment at a particular moment in time. We reconsidered &
      altered some votes. And if we had the time, money & stamina to do the
      whole thing over I dare say that many more of our earlier decisions
      would come out somewhat differently. But we grow old & will be content
      if we have involved more people (both scholars & laypersons) in
      well-informed historical assessment of the Jesus tradition.

      Shalom!

      Mahlon
      --

      Mahlon H. Smith,