Thomas 83

  • Fabrizio Sandrelli
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 1998
      I have recently read the Gospel of Thomas translated and edited by
      Marvin Mayer (basically, that's the reason why I happened to
      subscribe to this list). One of the most difficult sayings I found
      was # 83: "Jesus said, 'Images are visible to people, but the light
      within them is hidden in the image of the father's light. He will be
      disclosed, but is image is hidden by his light.'" What does this
      mean? Are concepts like "image" "light" "father" to be interpreted
      like technical gnostic terms? Is there any tie between this saying
      and others in the same text? Thank you for any suggestion and/or
      explanation.

      Fabrizio Sandrelli
      Via Garibaldi 11/B
      46040 Ponti sul Mincio (Mantova)