Re: MASCHIA(CH?)

  • Sam Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 1998
      Joe Baxter wrote:
      Maschia is the anointed one. Who says a human being cannot be anointed? We
      can visualize it. We can visualize God anointing our own forehead -- if we
      would allow it.

      Why then would he not anoint one who was perfect?

      I reply:
      Perfect?!? I think that this may be a huge part of Mike Grondlin's point. No
      human being can be perfect, therefore no human can be Mashiach, as the word
      is pronounced in Hebrew.

      Another point may have been that the concept of a "savior" is a ludicrous
      one, in which Mike and I would definitely agree, were this his position.

      I think that the biggest point of his note, however, was that this was a
      matter of faith, and as such, may not really belong to this list.

      I wonder many times how scholars and non-scholars (and non-gentlemen, Jeff)
      are able to remove the Faith hat and put on the History hat. What is more
      complexing to me, however is that, after seeing the story through a
      scholarly historical perspective, that they would choose (sic) to put the
      faith hat back on.

      I would love to hear any personal stories on this (off list would be
      appropriate, I think). If anyone might find the time to jot out a couple of
      paragraphs, I would greatly appeciate it.
      --
      Sincerely,
      Sam Gibson