802Re: Schonfield, sales, and scholarship

  • Anne Quast
    Jul 3, 1998

      >>Perhaps it is the idea that there is something hidden or to
      >>quote logium 17 GTH, "Jesus said, 'I shall give you what no eye has seen
      >>and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never
      >>occurred to the human mind.'" People like the idea of exclusivity or
      >>scandal. This is what sells books.
      >

      > Are you against book sales? Something has to carry the freight of
      > all the academic "on the record" stuff that Glazes Eyes Over. Most
      > presses do academic publishing as fill-in. Crosstalk has become a
      > morass of views of text analyses. Yet the same crowd can't even do
      > their own researching the Archives. Deliver me!

      I'm not against book sales. I think I'm just against the idea that a book
      needs to contain some sort of scandal (or dare I say sex) in order to sell.
      A book must also be readable. I have problems with Barbara Thierings
      "Jesus the Man" since almost two-thirds of it is appendices. It's almost
      as bad as "James the Just in the Habakkuk Pesher" where almost half of each
      page is taken up with footnotes. This makes it difficult to read.

      >>As you write of the dependence or independence of Thomas, how do you
      >>classify logium 102? Jesus said, "Woe to the pharisees, for they are like
      >>a dog sleeping the mager of oxen, for neither does he eat nor does he let
      >>the oxen eat." This is a fable usually attributed to Aesop! Who wrote it
      >>first? A number of the fables we attribute to Aesop are said to have been
      >>written during the first half of the first century ACE.
      >
      > Now THAT"S the best thing in your post. We tried to dig into these
      > correspondences but never did. I keep mentioning how and when
      > Petronius knew of the teachings of Jesus, a point allowing early
      > datings of all the accounts. What's the use?

      Some of my research states that a number of the fables were written during
      the first part of the first century ACE. They were satires on the
      political situation in Rome. Does the dog-in-the-manger fit here?
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic