772Re: Schonfield, sales, and scholarship

  • Anne Quast
    Jul 2, 1998
      At 22:15 1/07/98 -0700, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      >> THEY had not sold over 3 Million
      >> copies of just one on his books and over a million for several others...
      >>

      >Tom,
      >
      >You make this point frequently, and presumably in order to show that
      >Schonfield was a scholarly force to be reckoned with. But I am not so
      >sure that sales of books should be taken as any indication of scholarly
      >acumen, let alone that we should pay any regard to what a best selling
      >author has to say. After all, Hal Lindsey has sold several more millions
      >of books than Shonfield. But I thinks it's safe to say that neither you
      >nor I would recognize that Lindsey is really a biblical scholar or a
      >bona fide authority on the interpretation of of apocalyptic literature.
      >let alone take what he has to say seriously. All multiple sales show in
      >this (and possibly Shonfield's) instance is that there's a gullible
      >public out there and that sensationalism sells.
      >
      >Yours,
      >
      >Jeffrey Gibson
      >--
      Am I alone in feeling that Schonfield is the progentitor of a type of
      popular thinking within 'theological' ranks? I've discovered that I can
      almost determine the type of book by reading the bibliography. If it lists
      Schonfield's 'The Passover Plot', it will be full of non-othodox
      statements. Books falling into this catagory include 'The Holy Blood and
      the Holy Grail' or the 'Dead Sea Scrolls Deception' and then there is
      Barbara Thiering's 'Jesus the Man' and its sequels. Any book not listing
      one of these books in its bibliography tends to have more conservative
      thoughts. Perhaps it is the idea that there is something hidden or to
      quote logium 17 GTH, "Jesus said, 'I shall give you what no eye has seen
      and what no ear has heard and what no hand has touched and what has never
      occurred to the human mind.'" People like the idea of exclusivity or
      scandal. This is what sells books.

      As you write of the dependence or independence of Thomas, how do you
      classify logium 102? Jesus said, "Woe to the pharisees, for they are like
      a dog sleeping the mager of oxen, for neither does he eat nor does he let
      the oxen eat." This is a fable usually attributed to Aesop! Who wrote it
      first? A number of the fables we attribute to Aesop are said to have been
      written during the first half of the first century ACE.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic