770Re: Schonfield, sales, and scholarship

  • Lewis Reich
    Jul 2, 1998
      On 2 Jul 98, at 8:16, Tom Simms wrote:

      > I'd expect such behavior from northern
      > Britain but a century ago a Jew called Disraeli retired as Prime Minister
      > and became Lord Beaconsfield.

      Disraeli's father Isaac had young Benjamin baptized at the age of 13, and
      he subsequently received a Christian upbringing. Disraeli was proud of
      his Jewish ancestry, but he was not a Jew. Had he been Jewish, he
      would not have been permitted to take his seat in Parlia ment when he was
      first elected in 1837, as was Baron Lionel de Rothschild upon his election
      in 1848.

      Lewis Reich
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic